Slow morning starts (no fuel pressure?) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Slow morning starts (no fuel pressure?)

My 97 PS has 240,000 miles and has been well used. For a while now, it seems to be starting slow as iff the fuel or oil pump has to prime itself before it will start. Getting worse with time. Just went to mountains where it is cold and got worse over the trip to where it almost would not start at all. After cranking and cranking, it would finally kick off but run rough for a few minutes. Run and let set for a few hours and no problem. But set overnigt and prob returns. New fuel filter and air filter. Is this an oil pump problem leaking by overnight? If so... which one? I really dont think it is a glow plug problem but this is gut feeling only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:50 AM
oil burner

Re: Slow morning starts (no fuel pressure?)

start simple,cross the gpr (glow plug relay) with a screwdriver or something for a minute or so and see if it still starts hard.it will only take a minute and rule out the gpr.does it blow alot of white smoke when it starts?if so that would tell me its getting fuel and just doesnt have the heat to ignite it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok, checked the res and is just a tweak under full, maybe 1/8 inch. Figured that is not the problem. Now to the relay. Does blow white smoke assumed to be unburned diesel and smells like it. Is it the relay in front and to the passenger side of the fuel filter housing? If so, do I cross the big posts or the little ones? This should cause a direct short across the relay and lite the glow plugs manually even if there is a relay problem? Is it 12 volts? Use a test lite to see how long they stay lit?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:33 PM
PSN Newb

Mine is doing same and I highly suspect glowplug(s),GPR, or associated wiring.
Someone here should be able to give you "DIY checks" directions, as I am at library for internet.
The dealer I bought truck from told me they replaced 6 gp's, but wanted mechanic to replace all eight, but parts store only had 6 in stock, so...
Think he was "telling" me that the truck needs two more gp's replaced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode