95 Powerstroke Smoking at 2500 rpm than BOOM! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
JTX

95 Powerstroke Smoking at 2500 rpm than BOOM!

I wish i had the camera, but unfortaunatly i didnt. We recently rebuilt the engine in our 95 do to oil consumption(Rings, Heads, bearings, clutch, LUK conv). Ended up being an Oring but oh well, the engine had 250k. Anyways, once i got it all together i started buttoning up the little things and took it for a drive. At first it was smoking like before, and i mean smoking(blue smoke)! So i took it back to the shop and checked everything out, the only thing i noticed was the fuel in the canister looked dirty. So i drained it and topped the tank off with good diesel figuring the few gallons in there may be contaminated. This seemed to help and after driving it around the local streets the smoking cleaned up. So i thought all was well and took her for a spin down the highway.

This is where things get fun, im cruising along at 75 and notice a little smoke but nothing more than a diesel should put out at 2600rpm. I get to a few rolling hills and the smoke starts to pour out again! At this point im puzzled, and decide ill shoot for the next exit about a mile away. Suddenly i hear what sounds like a JET ENGINE! I look out the passenger mirror and i see a 4 foot flame blowing out the side! I kid you not, i wouldn't be suprised if i started a brush fire! I was like holy s***! I let off the gas and a few seconds later the flame stops and now theres no smoke! At this point i dunno wtf to do! I decide to drive a little further now that the smoke has stopped and the rest of the trip is uneventful. I eventually loop back around to the house, check the oil, fluids, everything, everything looked normal. My Dad wants to take it to the shop, but i figured i'd ask the internet gods before dropping even more money into my powerstroke torch.

More to add: I swapped the turbos before the rebuild with a junk yard one. Also during the hole drive the engine never cut out, lost power, or seemed to lose boost.

Could the muffler have been full of oil from the old turbo? Maybe i bought jet fuel instead of diesel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 05:43 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 95 Powerstroke Smoking at 2500 rpm than BOOM!

Did you reuse the old injectors? I wouldn't put 250k injectors in a brand new engine...

1995 Ford F-250 7.3 (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima 3.0
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
JTX

Yes i did... They work fine, no rough idle or anything. You think this could be causeing the problem? Im going to go on another test drive in a few days. I will update than. I still think the muffler was full of oil or something from the old turbo. I checked the oil level today and it didnt change.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 12:39 AM
PSN Veteran

I'm not an expert by any means but I think it could be part of your problem. You may have something intern wrong. Others will chime in.

1995 Ford F-250 7.3 (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima 3.0
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 02:12 AM
oil burner

id take it for another spin and see what happens,its very possible there was some combustibles in your exhuast,going down the highway probly built up enough heat to ignite what was left in there.soot,diesel fuel&oil,add some heat and youve got a chimney fire.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 09:07 AM
PSN Veteran

Combustibles in the exhaust sounds most likely for the scenario you've described... blue (oily) smoke while running, jet engine sound (sudden increase in exhaust pressure), flames out the tailpipe, but otherwise running ok.

I would separate the muffler from the intermediate exhaust and check for any unusual oil reside that may account for the blowtorch effect. If you still have the cat installed, you may also want to check there as well. Given that the engine seems to be running okay would lead me to believe that the injectors, while possibly worn, still seem to be working reasonably well.

In any event, the only other thing I can think of that would be immediately suspect is worn seals on the turbo dumping oil in the exhaust. This can cause all sorts of undesirable conditions including the aforementioned exhaust blowtorch. If this is the case, just be glad it's not the intake side as that would cause a runaway diesel.

Keep us posted on what you find.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
JTX

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll let you know what happens on the next test drive. It won't be until Tuesday. Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode