Utah newbie electrical issues. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Send a message via Yahoo to blamedachevy
Utah newbie electrical issues.

Ok Y'all i have been reading alot on here and will do my best to make it easiest for you guys to help me.

background: Ok I purchased my truck (95 psd 4wd sc lb 187000mi) from its original owner about a month ago. The truck fired up great while we were lookin at it and fired up great about two weeks after we had bought it. It had been a farm truck and wasnt driven much, bought it and have daily driven it. I did the basics when i got and changed the fluids and whatnot.

Problem: two weeks ago yesterday me and dad were cleaning her out and she was idling (idles great), turned the truck off, about ten to twenty minutes later she wouldnt start and batteries were sucked dry fast. jumped her she started fine, and would start again once right after that....then wouldnt have enough juice to get started again and would lose power to almost nothing, barely turning the starter. It would only jumpstart on the passenger so we figured even if it wasnt the problem, it still needed a new battery cuz the drivers side one was the oldest. replaced battery......started and ran fine till yesterday.

Earlier in the day it seemed that although it had voltage (even warm) it still took 1.25-2.25 seconds to start, which was longer than it had been taking to start the whole week prior. me and my buddy washed and had the doors open and on accessory yesterday while we waxed it and did some body care stuff. I figured we had just ran it with the doors open and radio on accessory for too long and drained the battery. So I jumped it with the expedition and drove it about a mile to get some lunch......same problem.......jumped it to get it home and once again it would only start one time after i charged it. I drove it around for about fifteen minutes and then let it idle for twenty or so and it started twice after that..... but then i waited for the glow plugs to cool a lil (ten minutes) and it still wouldnt start.

I really dont feel its the alternator because it will charge it seems like, but then the battery gets sucked way fast by something. A friend said starter, which makes sense. I live out in the middle of nowhere and am on a budget and if its something i can fix myslef then i would like to do that.

thanks in advance.
kam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Utah newbie electrical issues.

ummm............ i gave you everything i know....any help?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 04:42 AM
PSN Veteran

I was having a similar problem, if one battery is low or starting to go, it will pull the other down. I would replace both batteries.
Mine was having a similar problem, took it in and interstate batteries tested both, 1 was starting to go, so I replaced both, and the next week the alternator was toast, so not sure if that was what started it or not.
might start there.

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

1996 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
6637 tymar
285-75-16 BFG All Terrains/Weld Wheels
3:55 gears
Automatic with billet convertor, tugger and alto discs
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 04:42 AM
oil burner

if your familiar with a multimeter see how many amps is being drawn from the battery when the key is off.if theres any draw, (i think more than .03 amps is too much) then there could be a stuck relay or something
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ok thanks guys! i have lots of electician buddies who should be able to help me check the relays and yeah i have crap everstarts in there cuz thats what i could afford/get to so ill probably end up replacing the other one too......id rather not throw parts at it but its not throwin a code so.....i may have bight the bullet with battery, starter and alternator....and if that dont fix it....that sucks but on the bright side ill have a way way strong electrical and starting system goin on that shouldnt mess up for a while....lol
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 AM
PSN Veteran

These trucks take a lot of juce to fire up. The glow plugs when first fired up will draw up to 200 amps. That will suck a marginal battery down in no time.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ok so it sounding like the other battery but i will tell you this. today when firing it up to check if i fixed a speedo sensor problem ( i did thanks to psn woo hoo) i noticed that with throttle the battery meter will go up a lil but then drop back to about 10 really really quick even with driving it doesnt really stay up...it will rocket up with throttle but then drop.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 10:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Like tughill said, you may have a stuck relay (glowplug relay in particular). Once the engine is warm: find the glow plug solenoid. It's in the engine valley, on the passenger side, near the front of the motor. There's two big connections on top of this solenoid. One of them has a thick black/orange wire, this is connected to the battery so it is electrically hot at all times. The other big connection has two brown wires. Temporarily disconnect the batteries and remove the connection with the brown wires. This will remove the glow plugs from the circuit. Reconnect the batteries, start the truck up, and see what your voltage is.

'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 10:28 PM
PSN Veteran

Here's a picture. The GPR is at the top of this pic, see the black/orange wire and the two brown wires?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gpr small.jpg (66.0 KB, 5 views)

'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

dude you guys rock! thanks for the relay info tho i dont think i will need it cuz i just took my batteries to be load tested and the new one is great ahnd the old one wont hold charge for crap so i should be alright. knock on wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode