Lovin' that "white smoke" - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Lovin' that "white smoke"

I am a new user here, fairly new to diesel tech, not new to automotive tech. I am used to fabricating 4x4 rigs/aka rock-crawlers:
my rig

So i apologize if i EVER ask any newbish question. I am very competent with my mechanical skills and after searching i had a few questions about the plumes of white smoke comming out of my crankcase on my 95 7.3 TD with 240,000 miles. No smoke is exiting the tailpipe.

Is this caused by bad injector o-rings, or bad piston rings, or other problems?or both?

The CCV has been routed to the drivers side frame rail, and consistently puts out white smoke cold or hot. I have white smoke comming from my dipstick tube and valve cover cap. It has been smoking since i purchased the vehicle and i have since replaced the fuel filter. Upon searching this site i found that one indicator of having bad injector o-rings is to look at your newly installed fuel filter a couple of weeks later to see if it is again black, as the old one was. I will be checking this tomorrow in the daylight.

In the meantime i was wanting some suggestions for remedying this problem if possible. I understand i have a high mileage engine and that this problem could be comming from worn piston rings since i am getting so much blow-by in my crank-case. My knowledge of the diesel world is just now budding so if i am asking a stupid question i am sorry.

Nothing has been done to the truck performance wise besides the exhaust out of the turbo has been sized up from the stock diameter.

Further, what should be my first performance/maintenance tasks on this vehicle? I use it primarily as a DD/tow rig for my buggy. I know i should have a pyrometer, and i will soon. I am looking for reliable performance that will not prematurely wear my fuel system in a major way. I have looked at BD's 6 way chip but am not sure on the effectiveness of this system, or if i should mod a high mileage engine in this way.

So i am asking some of you to list simple "bread and butter" mods that i should do so i do not waste my time and money on things i do not need.

Sorry for the long post!

-Scott-

1995 Reg Cab 2wd LB--Baby Swamps/SBC Con OFE/Ts 6pos/ Swamps tunes/ Intake/ Exhaust/ No lift on 35's

4runner buggy, on 4d's, chevy 4.3 cpi/4l60e, 5.71's, Doubler with 4.7 rear case, linked rear, longs...etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:33 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Lovin' that "white smoke"

On higher milage engines there is typically more vapor coming out of that CCV hose. Some low milage engines even do it. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are creating a haze around the truck while it's sitting there idling. It is mainly ring seal that causes this.

As for mods the first thing I would tell you to do is get an air filter put on it. You can get a kit from AFE or something but if you want to do it cheaper (and just as good if not better air filtration) get a Napa number 6637 air filter and a 5" piece of 4" diameter exhaust tubing (hopefully you have some left over from you exhaust) Then you just take out the stock air box and put this filter in that spot. You can hook it to the engine with the stock 4" rubber hose if you turn it just right and use the 4" tubing to connect the filter to the rubber hose. You need to pull the sensor out of the stock air box and zip tie it to the wiring by the fender. That sensor needs to be connected so that the PCM knows what the air temp is.

After that get a chip for it. Please don't waste your money on some big name companies stuff. You are much better off getting a custom chip from one of the sponsors of this site. Just read a little on here about what companies people are buying chips from and call them up and decide for yourself.

Personally I like my BTS chip the best of anything I have tried, however they are not a site sponsor.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually
300/100% B codes, Stealth dual pumps, H2E, BTS trans, ARP head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, Tyrant Tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6.0 IC, Fuelab electric fuel pump, NAPA 6637 air filter, ITP Overboost Annihilator, AeroTurbine 4040XL
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 03:33 PM
PSN Veteran

I got a dp tuner on my truck and a awsome tuner in my opinion. I got the 40hp tow tune its not much more power but you can tell when your on a hill and it has different shift points and higher line presures on all the tunes to help increase the life of your automatic trans. Then I got the 60 hp economy tune which I had him tune the shift points were my stock ones are and works great bout a 2 mpg pick up as long as I keep my foot out of it. Then the 80 tow which is nice when towing also then the 100 hp tune thats fun to drive on but I get 8 mpg cause I cant keep my foot out of it at all. I have had the tuner for 8 months now and has worked great for me. The egts are actually higher on the stock setting then on any of the tunes besides the 100 hp tune. the highest I have seen is 1200 lugging the engine going up a hill towing my boat. I also had the stock down pipe in for awhile before I got the 3 in down pipe not much difference on egt's with stock injectors. Also I have switched to DELO oil and engine seems to idle better then with the rotella oil

1997 Ford F-250 Sleeper Edition
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yeah sometimes it is quite noticeable that the vapor is coming out from under my truck at idle at a stop light. I guess ill just live with it. I forgot to mention my truck is a 5sp, and i do have an intake.

Are any of you guys running a fuel pressure gauge on an earlier psd?, and if you are how did you go about hooking it up--straight to the schrader valve?

What are some of the better names in clutches that i might not of heard of?...seems you guys have your favorites.

While running a chip will i need to worry about injectors and my fuel pump being able to keep up? Will i eventually need to go aftermarket on any of those items?

Does the BTS chip offer multiple settings ?

What should be my greatest concern/item i need to watch after running a chip besides exhaust temps?

Ok OK sorry my barrage of questions has subsided now.

I do appreciate your help guys!!

-Scott-

1995 Reg Cab 2wd LB--Baby Swamps/SBC Con OFE/Ts 6pos/ Swamps tunes/ Intake/ Exhaust/ No lift on 35's

4runner buggy, on 4d's, chevy 4.3 cpi/4l60e, 5.71's, Doubler with 4.7 rear case, linked rear, longs...etc
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 07:19 PM
PSN Veteran

Exhaust temp is the only thing you need to watch. The 94 to 97 trucks have pretty small injectors stock and even egt's aren't much of a worry.

No fuel system problems will occur due to a chip as long as the parts are in good shape. If the fuel pump is weak to begin with it could become more noticable with a chip though. Injectors are not effected as far as longevity is concerened with a chip.

BTS chips can have up to 6 settings. You can pick how ever many you think you want.

I don't know much about clutches but I think the LUK single mass flywheel replacement setup is pleanty good for stock injectors and even stage 1 injectors if you are not racing or sled pulling often. I don't think I would worry about the clutch until you get a chip for it. More than likely if it is in good shape it will be fine for a while especially if you don't abuse it.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually
300/100% B codes, Stealth dual pumps, H2E, BTS trans, ARP head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, Tyrant Tunes

6.0 IC, Fuelab electric fuel pump, NAPA 6637 air filter, ITP Overboost Annihilator, AeroTurbine 4040XL
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:49 PM
PSN Veteran

Scott- did you post your 4-link build on pirate under the name Scottapher?
We're much more friendly here than Pirate...

that much white smoke in your crankcase would make me think piston rings. can you take video of it for us?

if you have the tools, i'd perform a leak down check. if you don't, pull the intake and look for any "sanding" on the fins of the turbo. that would be an indicator of dirt making it's way into the engine. the stock airboxes have been known to leak some...

As for chips, we all have our favorites, but there are a few well known and respected tuners.
Power hungry performance- Bill and corey are great folks, sold me a tuning package. obviously my favorite
DP tuner
Tony Wildman (Don't know if he's tuning right now, long story short his daughter is sick)
Matt @ Gearhead automotive
I'm sure there's a few others, i'd just check the site sponsors section.

With tuning, you may get the occasional check engine light from low oil pressure, this is pretty common on a tuned and otherwise stock truck. the rest should keep up, but you are putting more wear on the truck in general.

the EGT gauge is rather important IMO especially if you're towing.
I would also retrofit an intercooler from a newer 7.3L or 6.0L. there are plenty of articles on that here.

Dan
96 Powerstroke: 6637, downpipe to dump exhaust, 140v IDM and a shift kit.

84 Honda Sabre V65 1100: pipes, jet kit and new tires. Faster than I think I'll ever need.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

secondarychaos--Yes i did post a build on pirate under Scottapher. Hopefully soon ill have some info on the 4.3cpi swap. Thx for the welcome.

It seems that i still have alot of reading and searching this site to do yet, but i just wanted to see if there was anything obvious that i was missing in relation to the vapors comming from the ccv and crankcase in general. Thanks guys for your responses.

I am still interested in a fuel pressure guage inside the cab along with a pyro. Is there a writeup anywhere about adapting an electric gauge to the port on the rear of the fuel bowl people are using to measure wot pressures. I have seen something here about using a mechanical gauge using fuel line off an adapter fitting on that rearward fuel bowl port and taking that line up to infront of the windshield to a gauge. Of course i dont want fuel line inside of the cab so how have yall put an electic guage on these older psd's?

I do not have the tools to perform a leakdown test. How would any sanding effect on my turbo viens be causing this vapor? I have an aftermarket intake so i know its flowing well; maybe taking in too much debris? But how would this again affect the white smoke im seeing.

I will take a video for you guys this weekend.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 12:55 AM
PSN Veteran

Flip the oil fill cap over and put in on the oil fill. Does it "blow off"? Not vibrate off, but blow off.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 12:58 AM
PSN Veteran

A dusted turbo is usually a good indicator of a dusted motor.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well ill check both the oil cap and the viens on the turbo in the am. The truck still pulls strong and has alot of juice off the throttle, at least to pull my car hauler w/ my crawler on it easily. Just the dang smoke is annoying, sometimes embarassing.

I wonder if i were to route my ccv vent to my exhaust instead of just dumping near the framerail, if this cause any sort of slight vaccum that would be enough suction to throw this white smoke out the tail pipe and keep any from plumes from comming out of the dipstick/oil fill spout?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode