Ford Dealer reflash, buzz testing, and upgrading 94.5 ecu - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ford Dealer reflash, buzz testing, and upgrading 94.5 ecu

My 94.5 ECU has been reflashed at the dealer in 98 prior to my owning it. Could you tell my why?

It started running rough recently under power as if a cylinder is missing. I tried running diagnostics and injector buzz based on EEC IV instructions I have located and nothing happened. My process, turn on ignition(truck not running) add EDU jumper, press brake and let off, then press down gas and let off. Buzz test should run per information. There is also no check engine light to read flashes. I don't have an analog voltmeter at the moment but just wanted to buzz test injectors anyway. The fuel pressure test valve is point directly at the engine lift point, so I am unable to check it. It is still driveable as the miss is mostly during load, as if timing may be off. Oil has about 2500 miles on it, air filter the same.

I read that the ECU can be up graded to a 95, making it OBDII. I have a way to read that. I want to do this but my problem is which ECU do I need? There is a huge list on car-parts.com. Looking at 95 7.3 diesel manual ones, there are several to choose from.

Sorry for the long post. John

1994 F350 Dually w/Powerstroke M.T. 101,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:20 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Ford Dealer reflash, buzz testing, and upgrading 94.5 ecu

I don't believe standard EEC IV code retrieval tricks work. Many years ago i heard about Ford reflashing PCM's for some reason, and many people were actually not pleased with the performance after the reflash.

Your OBDII port may now be active, though a standard OBDII scanner evidently won't do anything (my actron won't, and I don't recall reading of any cheap scanner that works). Best bet is Auto Enguinity (not sure of spelling?) software on a laptop. Also, you may wish to get your PCM reflashed by somebody like DP-Tuner for a better program (its cheap, less than $100). Newer program will actuate the AIC port also.

Miss is possibly a burnt harness under the valve cover, though of course there's other possibilities.

'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 PM
PSN Veteran

John, don't quote me but - IIRC you can also use the auto PCM. It's not vice-versa though. As for interchanging between year models, it seems I recall reading OBS could use any OBS PCM, as long as it was for the right build of truck (ca vs. fed emissions)

@Bill - FYI my buddies Genisys OTC scanner worked on my truck. Powerstroke Nation - View Single Post - Rough Idle - No Power: PLEASE advise

'95 F250 Extended Cab E40D 2WD

IDM MOD - HPX -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Got an analog meter to check for ECU pulses, same results. Nothing. Pulling valvecovers today to check for shorts and bad injectors.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Problem 1. Short orange intake hose cracked at turbo.
Main problem, 3rd injector on drivers side bank not pumping oil. Wiring looks good.

Replace injector?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode