Coolant Leak Into Cylinder - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Coolant Leak Into Cylinder

OK. Had and issue with my 1997 Powerstroke after accelerating into traffic. No big mods, but do have a 6-pos BD chip, exhaust/DP, Intake and shimmed FPR. Also only have 125k miles on the truck. Anyway, ended up blowing lots of white smoke out of the exhaust that smelled like antifreeze. After reading up here and talking to a couple Powerstroke experts I started pulling things apart to diagnos the issue. PUlled the valve covers that their underside was covered with milky oil/water mix, but not in the valvetrain area or in the pan when I drained it. So I was thinking what the heck!! Did some more diagnostics tonight and found a problem. I pulled the glow plugs and then pressurized the coolant system with air to 15psi Could instantly hear air coming from cylinder #3 (don't know if that applies to Fords, numbering it like a GM, its the second one back on the drivers side). Also had the oil drain plug out of the pan and sure enough water started running out of it. So I am guessing there are a couple possibilities. Cracked cylinder wall, cracked head, or blown head gasket. None of them sound great to me!!

Question fo the experts. What is my next step? Can I just pull the head and figure out where the leak is? Shouldn't be too hard since the leak is so prevelant with 15psi on the coolant side. Or do I now need to pull the entire motor because I had water in the cylinder and could end up with a rod exiting the block in the near future? Also, I have read that if I replace the HG, it's recommended to install studs instead of the bolts if I plan to run a chip in the near future. Who sells studs and how much should I expect to pay?

Any help is appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 05:43 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Coolant Leak Into Cylinder

It has been said that once a rod is subject to a failure where water enters the cylinder that the rod should be replaced. You probably need to figure out if there is a pin hole in a cylinder wall or if the water is entering through a blown head gasket. If there is a pin hole than the motor will definitely need to come out to have that cylinder sleeved. You wont needs studs for a chip alone. If you have any plans of adding injectors later on that would put your boost up over 35-40 pounds than it would be far beneficial to install the studs now, while the motor is torn down some. Studs can be found around from 5-800 depending on if they are ARP's or H11's.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Any other Help / Insight?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Hater Club

injector cups fail before headgaskets on the 7.3

I would replace the cup on number 3 before yanking the engine.

Porch Monkey. It's cool, I'm taking it back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode