Questions and Concerns please help! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Questions and Concerns please help!

I just got my new PSD and im not familiar with the 94-97 PSD's. My truck has 112k on it. Motor is stock except for a K&N air filter system. Seems to run good except a few things i have noticed. I just had the oil changed and fuel filter replaced as well as a tranny flush by my buddys at Ford.

Questions and Concerns! Im very OCD so bare with me please!

Inside the cab the Wait to Start light only stays on for like 1-2 seconds then shuts off. Even when its cold like first start up in the morning. What could be the problem or is that normal? Shouldnt it take longer for the glow plugs to warm up like 3-10 seconds? My dads does in his 05 PSD.

After driving the truck for awhile being that its fully warmed up... my temp gauge stays below the N of NORMAL. Never goes past it. Even coming back from AZ it stayed like that.

When i took it to Ford to get the tranny serviced they said everything is good! But i have noticed it shifts hard all the time doesnt matter if your going slow on the pedal or stepping on it.. And you can feel it downshift as well.

When motor is warm.. i can hear a slight knocking type sound coming from under the motor. Kinda sounds like an exhaust leek but maybe thats just how they sound? Im used to the 6.0's somewhat quiter motor..

Everytime i hit a bump or whatever im hearing a raddle coming from the driverside front end... Maybe the shocks need to be replaced or something is loose?

So thats just what i have noticed so far.. What do you all think?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

Re: Questions and Concerns please help!

First thing get that K&N garbage off the truck get a tymar air intake or build your own version of it, or get another reusable system . Do a search on here for tymar. Post up what the truck is F-250 or 350.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 04:45 PM
PSN Veteran

The 7.3 will make considerably more noise than a 6.0, especially a pre superduty truck (pre 99). But you could have some other noises that arent supposed to be there. Best way would be try and post a video.

My WTS light stays on longer when its cold, but usually when its less than 40*. Otherwise, only for a few seconds then goes out.

As far as the transmission, it could be on its last legs. Do you know the history of the truck?

Rattling over bumps is usually due to bad shocks and/or sway bar links and bushings.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Senior Veteran Member

Garage

Aljay is correct on the K&N-> dump it. You can easily buy a 6637 filter from a local parts house $35-$65 depending on your choice and their markup, attach a piece of plastic sewer pipe 45 degree anle for $3.00 and be done with it. Attaches then to stock hose where it attaches at stock air cleaner housing. OR... go the metal pipe route and look better with shiny metal or painted/powder coated. Here is mine with a cover over the outside-->

On the temp gauge, try replacing the coolant temp sensor in the top of the water pump and see what it shows. Mine was bad and it did the same thing. Barely got into normal range, changed it out and now shows correctly. Might think about doing a thermostat at same time. get the long one, not short one. Long one will correctly direct coolant within the cooling system.

Knocking sound may be several things. It could be differences from the 6.0 you're used to. Could be something internal in engine. Could be nothing or something ready to let go. Maybe think about taking to another shop than that dealership you went to.

WTS light may not be functioning correctly. Mine will do that same thing here in Texas when it is 100 degrees and it is warm at each start, and also at first start up in morning. It will stay on 2 sec or less. But when it is cold, it will stay on longer. When I do start it up in the morning now at 75-80 degrees at 5am, the light goes out after 2 sec, but glow plugs are still energized for 30-45 sec by the way the voltmeter is showing and headlights are dimmer, then they are un-energized and lights become brighter and voltmeter goes to normal.

Trans is a no-go for me as I'm manual tranny. Sorry.

Centxdiesel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 F250 XL SC, 512HP 1019TQ,
30% nozzle Hybrids from [email protected]
Adrenaline, Beans D-66,Beans E-Fuel,Valair Ceramic-Kevlar clutch.

Awesome Tuning by: Matt: from:

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

The truck is a F250HD. I just ordered a tymar intake. Would I tell a difference from the K&N that's in their with this Tymar or no? Everyone on here and my diesel power mag recomended the Tymar that's why I went with it.

Also I put in some tranny additive to reduce slipage and rough shifting. I think its barks tranny repaire fluid. I only used half the bottle cause I didn't wanna overfill my trans. It feels a littke better but we'll see.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Don't EFN worry about it

Tymar is just good insurance against an issue later on ,I think a few folks have said the K&N was letting dirt in the engine.
Best thing about the tymar for me is I replace it once a year .

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 12:00 AM
id: 5520

Nothing wrong with the K&N.. This is my second F-350 with K&N intake and no problems due to it. Just my own experience.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 12:18 AM
oil burner

k&n air filters are ok if you maintain them,clean em often and most of all,they must be oiled to trap dirt.dont worry about engine noise unless you notice the noise getting louder.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 AM
OEM Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Tom S

Coolant temp sensor is cheap and would be a good start to checking the temp issue. I would also do a quick check with an IR temp gun.

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode