BAD FUEL!!!!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Fire junkie

BAD FUEL!!!!!

Ok well I was on my home last night and was about ~150 miles from home, needed fuel so I stoped off at the last F.J. and toped off just the front tank as I knew I could get in with that, well about ~50-60 miles down the road my "water in fuel" light came oneek: truck was still running ok, I pulled over and drained the fuel bowl and went on, about ~2-3 miles it came on again, stoped and drained the bowl again!!, this time I only got a mile or so before it came on again, well I cant do this sh*t all night (2:30 in the am) so I went about 4-5 miles stoped and drained it, I did this sh*t for almost 100 miles!!!, truck never missed a beat, soo do you think I could have messed up anything? I have about a half a tank left, due to putting in a anit-theft screen I cant get a hose down in to drain it, think I can just top it off and run it till half a tank top it off or just suck it up and drop the tank to drain it, thanks for the help

stay safe out there
Roy

96 F250 C.C. , Rebuilt E4ODx2, open air intake, Hypermax downpipe,straight 4", Stage 1's, Autometer EGT, Boost, & Tran temp, Upgraded trannie cooler, Custom home built front & rear bumpers, head ache rack and 60 gal. Aux. fuel tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 12:59 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: BAD FUEL!!!!!

I haven't had it happen before where I have had bad diesel before, but if your truck was running good, just like it always does, is it possible that the water in fuel sensor just went out, causing the light to come on.

I am new here, so bear with me, but what happens if you drive your truck and the light stayed on?

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

1996 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
6637 tymar
285-75-16 BFG All Terrains/Weld Wheels
3:55 gears
Automatic with billet convertor, tugger and alto discs
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 01:22 AM
PSN Veteran

The last time that I got a bad load of fuel it took around 5 or 7 tanks of fuel to get all the water out. Mine did the same thing that yours did. After draining the filter housing it only took a few miles before the light came on again. Since the water was in the back tank I mostly ran off of the front tank when the light would come on then drain the housing and switch back to the rear tank until the light came back on. That was 40,000 miles ago and no problems since

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 03:19 AM
PSN Veteran

any update on what you found out?

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

6637 tymar
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 03:23 AM
diesel and nothing else

Send a message via Yahoo to amarillo250

If you got water in fuel try Howies fuel treatment it atomized the water in the fuel and you want have to worry. You get it at any truckstop.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 04:44 AM
PSN Veteran

just trying to learn something new here, but what happens with water in the fuel, does the truck run at all? does it spit and sputter? quit running all together?

What do I have to look forward to if it ever happens?

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

6637 tymar
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Fire junkie

I havenet done anything yet, with the holiday weekend and all. I had fuel here at the house so I just filled up the rear tank and have been running off of it, have been "bouncing" back and fourth between the front and rear tank, will switch to the front tank as soon as I see the light start to come on I switch back to the rear. Amarillo thanks for the tip will stop and find some.

stay safe out there
Roy

96 F250 C.C. , Rebuilt E4ODx2, open air intake, Hypermax downpipe,straight 4", Stage 1's, Autometer EGT, Boost, & Tran temp, Upgraded trannie cooler, Custom home built front & rear bumpers, head ache rack and 60 gal. Aux. fuel tank
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Terminator Nation

To drain the tank, select the tank you want to drain and open the fuel filter drain valve with the engine running. Just have a big drain pan as it comes out pretty fast. There will be a small residual amount left in the tank. Found this out one day when I forgot to shut the fuel filter drain and started the engine.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Fire junkie

Dave
Thanks for the tip, would have never thought of that one, so far things seem to be going ok with it, like I said been bouncing back and fourth between front and rear tank, as soon as I see the WIF light start to flicker I will switch to the rear tank then when I can drain it. I have gone about 60-70 miles now on the front tank and no light yet, so maybe got most of it out thanks for all the help

stay safe out there
Roy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode