Cooling issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
96 Ford F-350 PSD

Cooling issues

I am running a 96 that has been modified a lot. The truck pulling trailers runs to hot "coolant wise" for comfort. I have changed the front of the truck to fit an all aluminum radiator out of the 99-03 trucks w/the fan clutch and shroud. I have an 05 intercooler in front of that with 2 tranny coolers(only because space behind the grill is limited, and the A/C unit sits between the intercooler and radiator like normal for the truck. Pulling about 9,000lbs or so yesturday at 60-70mph the truck will run 230-270 up grades and then on flats it will go back down to normal 200-210. I can keep the EGT's of the truck under 1250 and still have plenty of power to pull the hills.

Any help?

Sorry about the long thread just trying to give a good idea of the truck.

96 Ford PSD! Custom intercooler, 01 Aluminum radiator, S&B Intake, 5" exhaust, Stage 2 injectors, Complete stud kit, 3" aluminum intake plenums, Fuel system w/aeromotive pump and regulator, Coolant filter, BTS Trans, Adrenaline HPOP, live tuned DP Tuner, 4" lift, MKW19 wheels and Toyo MTs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:40 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Cooling issues

Bad fan clutch?

Which T stat are running?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 10:57 PM
PSN Local

Is this a recent development?

Pete in San Ramon
2005 F250 6.0 Lariat 4x4 CC Short bed (stock)
1997 F250 7.3 XLT 4X4 Reg. cab (stock)
1986 F250 6.9 XLT Gone but not forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 11:36 PM
oilfield trucker

You may try running a lower temp thermostat. How about your water pump ? is it the original pump ? My truck was running hot awhile back and the water pump seemed to be fine but I pulled it off anyways and found that the impeller was eroded away pretty bad.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
96 Ford F-350 PSD

All parts are new. I had electric fans on it last year and they really didn't work. The truck lost the tranny the end of last year, and so I finnaly replaced it with a new BTS and at the same time I chaged the water pump T stat and put the fan, shroud and fan clutch (all from ford) in it with all new coolant. I have even grinded down the front grill some to open it up more. I am just wondering with all the stuff in the front of the truck if the radiator just isnt getting enough air.

96 Ford PSD! Custom intercooler, 01 Aluminum radiator, S&B Intake, 5" exhaust, Stage 2 injectors, Complete stud kit, 3" aluminum intake plenums, Fuel system w/aeromotive pump and regulator, Coolant filter, BTS Trans, Adrenaline HPOP, live tuned DP Tuner, 4" lift, MKW19 wheels and Toyo MTs.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 12:32 AM
oilfield trucker

Even with all that stuff up there I would'nt think it would be an issue, your fan will still pull alot of air through the radiator, although with all that stuff in front of the radiator it may be preheating the air quite abit so by the time it gets to the radiator your pulling pretty hot air through it. I've had alot of equipment over the years and with it alot of overheating issues and one of the first things I do is change the thermostat even if its brand new. I think thermostats cuase alot of problems. You may try changing it agian. Just my 0.02
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
96 Ford F-350 PSD

I will look into it. I think the one I have is the 200, might try the 185. Looking for a different transcooler setup that will fit that I can get down lower to not push that hot air through also. Looking for Ideas.

Thanks

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:18 PM
PSN Veteran

have you had the rad cleaned out? when I took mine in to the rad shop and cleaned they sid there was 3 inches of crud in the bottom of it. it was sand and junk from the motor castings. and slime

might want to check out you clutch on you fan also.

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Fire junkie

I had the same issue a few yrs. ago, would only run hot when pulling trailers, soooo after a new T-sat, fan clutch, water pump, I pulled the radiator, it was pluged and needed going thru, so in the end I spent $600 to fix a $70 problem, have your radiater checked first!!

stay safe out there
Roy

96 F250 C.C. , Rebuilt E4ODx2, open air intake, Hypermax downpipe,straight 4", Stage 1's, Autometer EGT, Boost, & Tran temp, Upgraded trannie cooler, Custom home built front & rear bumpers, head ache rack and 60 gal. Aux. fuel tank
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 AM
PSN Local

My truck would do the same thing and i changed everything on it twice and come to find out the oil cooler was stopped completely up on the side that the oil goes thru.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode