Speed vs. RPM - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
4x4
PSN Local

Speed vs. RPM

Took my truck on its first hwy trip, about 300 miles. Looks like about 15 mpg. I noticed that, compared to my late SD, this truck seems to be geared lower somehow when cruising in OD. Going down long grades in the SD it seemed I could take my foot off the pedal and the truck would roll well on its own, maintaining hwy speeds for some distance without slowing down. In the OBS I felt like I needed another gear almost and had to keep power on to maintain speed.
On flat windless hwy I would cruise at 60 mph at about 1900 rpm. I'm betting that, like the SD, the 35's are causing my indicated speed to read about 9% low so I'm probably moving about 65 mph. Do these numbers seem normal for the 3.73 (?) rearend that I think I have?

Steve

1996 F350, CC, LB, 4x4, 4" lift, 35" MT's, 4.10, 3" DP, Tymar in.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:11 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Re: Speed vs. RPM

bet you have 4:10 gears.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:20 AM
DILLIGAFF

Send a message via AIM to Redfish

2006 F-250 CC King Ranch, Harley Headlights w/ 55w HIDs
ARP studs, MBRP 4" exhaust and AM Colbalts By:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, AFE stg. 2 Pro Guard 7 from XDP, SCT from innovative!
14.09 @ 94 1.85 60'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:02 AM
OBS junkie

3.55s or 4.10s for the OBS. The "drag" you describe is part of the 4.10 gearing, they like to cost down & cruise around 30-35mph. When you get used to it you'll find you don't have to hit the brakes as much as you would with a truck geared higher. 15mpg sounds about right, that's about what my old IDI does & what other OBS Powerstrokes with 4.10s I've seen will do.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
4x4
PSN Local

I guess that explains why the tag on the diff. says 10 10 xxx. I don't know how I missed that before buying the truck. Although I have to say that, as a daily driver, I kind of like the off-the-line quickness that this truck has over the SD and I am assuming it is the gearing that causes this.
Seems that 3.55 to 4.10 is quite a jump. I'm not sure I'd want the 3.55 with the larger tires. Tradeoffs I guess?

Steve

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 06:42 PM
OBS junkie

How large of a tire do you want to go with? If you make a good amount of power & don't tow anything too large a set of 3.73 might be alright for you. It just really depends what your trying to do with your truck & how much $$$ you want to spend.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott

Quote:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
4x4
PSN Local

Cat,
I doubt I'll ever go over 35s. I'd like to try some 37 x 12.5's sometime but the 35's already rub on the leaf at full crank.
And I don't foresee any serious towing; just small utility trailers.
The more I think about it the more I think the higher gearing would ONLY benefit on fairly flat hwy and higher speeds. In the city, towing, offroad, or even on grades or winding roads I think the higher gears will have benefit.?? Basically, any time I am operating under 60 mph.

I don't want to spend money on drivetrain, other than tranny. I am getting ready for exhaust, then tranny, then gauges, then chip.

Steve

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:35 PM
OBS junkie

I think I'd stick with the 4.10s, that's what I'm running in my truck. I want to try a set of 35s on mine just to see how it acts. Generally if your doing alot of highway driving 65-75mph you'll want a set of 3.55 gears. For alot of 55mph country roads & town 4.10s arn't all that bad espically if your running larger rubber. Also considering how big of a truck your pushing down the road I'd stick with the 4.10s on your truck.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott

Quote:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 02:03 AM
PSN Veteran

yup 4.10-- the tag likely says 4L10 (for ltd slip) or I think just 4 10 for open. Your 4 is probably under the bolt that goes through the tag. 65 [email protected] about 2400....

2000 F250 CCSB-- GT4294R, 250/100s, Dahl/Fuelab, PHP, scan gauge, stock 17* pump

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
1997 F250 CCSB 2wd (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode