steerin gear box - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

steerin gear box

Hey fellas, my 97 7.3L 4x4 HD 214k miles on clock, has as much play in the steering wheels as an old farm tractor and I've rebuilt the entire front end all ball joints, tie rods, arms, front axle, pulled hubs apart complete rebuild and repacked wheel bearings,seals, you name it....Anyway, I can't figure out why she has soo much play in the steering wheel, starting to scare me...this is the last thing I've yet to replace will that fix it?

Also, every so often when turning onto an incline parking lot or hill (only when turning putting the truck off balance (one side higher than the other), I keep hearing a loud "Pop" noise like a spring pop out of place or something but i keep checking and nothing is out of the ordinary or loose that i can tell...do you think this is the shocks?

Thanks in advance for any help

Thinkin about headin up to local parts store and pickin up one tomorrow?

2008 F250 4x4 King Ranch 6.4 CC--SOLD

2000 SD F350 SRW 4x4 CC Lariat-, 5% tint-wkd whl, 1.0 hsg, EBPV md, Beans stg 2's sticks, Beans 6 pstn ,IDM MOD, DI Reg. Retrn, ITP bst anltr, 6637, CCV, MBRP 4 dp/exht, BTS VB, atmr tri-pillr~ 20X10 BMF's fresh paint!-SOLD

1997 F-250 4X4 CC SB 7.3L HDPS-- SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:45 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Re: steerin gear box

There is a TSB for the pop ! Its a rivit on the frame . Replace the box .

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

What is a TSB?

Anybody tell me what model number I need to buy for the steering gear box? Napa caries three different models for my truck in my sig??

2000 SD F350 SRW 4x4 CC Lariat-, 5% tint-wkd whl, 1.0 hsg, EBPV md, Beans stg 2's sticks, Beans 6 pstn ,IDM MOD, DI Reg. Retrn, ITP bst anltr, 6637, CCV, MBRP 4 dp/exht, BTS VB, atmr tri-pillr~ 20X10 BMF's fresh paint!-SOLD

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:15 AM
PSN Veteran

TSB is a technical service bulletin issued from ford for a known problem.
I am sure someone will know what the actual tsb was or google your problem and put tsb at the end and see what gives.

I do know this though, when I bought my steering box from napa, I took it off first, they wanted double the price in core charge, the guy told me they really want to make sure they get the cores back.

You might check AGR, I think they make really good steering boxes also.

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

1996 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
6637 tymar
285-75-16 BFG All Terrains/Weld Wheels
3:55 gears
Automatic with billet convertor, tugger and alto discs
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:50 AM
PSN Local

it sounds like your pitman arm is loose. you can check it by watching it while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth and make sure there's no play. if that's it torque that sucker back downand keep an eye on it if it comes loose again you will have to replace the out put shaft on your steering box but hey its alot cheeper than buying a new one
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis162 View Post
it sounds like your pitman arm is loose. you can check it by watching it while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth and make sure there's no play. if that's it torque that sucker back downand keep an eye on it if it comes loose again you will have to replace the out put shaft on your steering box but hey its alot cheeper than buying a new one
yeah, someone else told me that and i had a friend look at it while i turned the wheel and everything looked tight underneath?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla68 View Post
TSB is a technical service bulletin issued from ford for a known problem.
I am sure someone will know what the actual tsb was or google your problem and put tsb at the end and see what gives.

I do know this though, when I bought my steering box from napa, I took it off first, they wanted double the price in core charge, the guy told me they really want to make sure they get the cores back.

You might check AGR, I think they make really good steering boxes also.
I hear AGR and good but out the window expensive like 300-400 or so. I'm not going to waste that, I will just pick one up from NAPA for $160. Yeah,
I need to know what model number it is in order to order the right gear box in for my truck? They told me there is three different models for the same year, anyone know what number my truck would take (its in my sig)?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode