removal of turbo... grrrrrrr - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

removal of turbo... grrrrrrr

how in the world do u get the lower 2 nuts off the turbo flange??? and the bolts off the up pipes to replace the donuts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Re: removal of turbo... grrrrrrr

You could drop the trans crossmember and drop it down some if you have a 4x4 drop the front drive line. Droping the trans down some makes it alot easier to get at some of the bolts.

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:38 PM
PSN Veteran

the back to on the ped you need a 10 mm 1/4 drive with u joint, the two on the flang up top 1/2 drive or a box wrench and a braker bar. if you dont need the ebpv gut it while its off ,makes it easyer to do next time.

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Stick of Dynamite..hate getting the stockers out! eayest is just pull the trans.

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Introduction only. Please email if I can help.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Kid with a Wrench

Send a message via MSN to AlaskaRedneK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdad1979 View Post
how in the world do u get the lower 2 nuts off the turbo flange??? and the bolts off the up pipes to replace the donuts?

I think you are asking about the bolts that mount the turbo to the collector? for the bottom right I use a short wrench and face offset towards the cab and use a hammer or something to hit it. For the bottom left I think I did something similar.

For the up pipe bolts you should be able to get up in there with a set of extenstions and a wobbley. To get that drivers side pipe out I had to remove the rear crossmember and lower the rear of the trans/t case to allow the pipe to come out from the bottom.

Matt

'97 F-350 CC/LB 7.3L PSD 4x4 4.10's, Fresh Engine, Stacks, 7 Gauges, AFE, e-fan, BIG Kustom fuel system, 250cc
Hybrids w/ 100%s, H2E, 3" intakes, Bad Boy
Tranny built by me, ARPs, 910s, P-rods, 17*, SD IC

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:14 AM
PSN Veteran

Here's how I got the lower nuts between the turbo and the collector housing:

I just heated & bent a 15mm box end wrench, cut it off, and welded on the cut-off end from a 3/8" drive extension. It worked great!

After much cussing, my eventual sequence of events was as follows:
1) Remove lower downpipe bolts from both sides (where they attach to the exhaust manifolds).

2) Remove turbo inlet hose and outlet Tee.

3) Remove downpipe clamp.

4) Remove EBPV housing (mine was already gutted so I didn't have to deal with the linkage rod). Definitely needed a 3/8" drive 12-pt 8mm socket for this one.

5) Remove all but the driver's side rear up-pipe to collector bolts, working from above initially with a box end wrench, eventually with a 1/4" drive socket.

6) remove top bolts and lower nuts connecting the turbo to the collector (using home-made wrench pictured above for the nuts).

7) wiggle the collector and up-pipes around, and push the collector back towards the firewall.

8) Use a 3/8" drive 10 mm swivel socket to remove the bolts holding the pedestal to the engine (you need to get to step #7 to allow the use of a 3/8" drive on the driver's side rear bolt).

9) Use a box end wrench to get at the last up-pipe to collector bolt.

10) Slide collector off of up-pipes.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

95 F350 CC DRW, ISSPRO Performax gauges, Diamond Eye 3x4" DP & 5" exh, MBRP tip, Baby Swamps & tunes, Trans VB mods, Dunrite TC, Lock-Right, Cal-Tracs
99 Silverado race truck
96 F250 RCLB, bone stock
00 Jetta TDI, Kerma Tunes, Der Chimera Stg 3 clutch
73 & 74 Vega race cars, 92 GMC Typhoon, 73 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400, 73 Trans-Am 455
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:21 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

A shorty box wrench and a hammer gets those flange nuts loose or tightened.

PB Blaster helps alot also.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode