Any advice before I pull motor? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Dairy Mechanic

Any advice before I pull motor?

I'm gonna be pulling my engine here soon and I'm gonna take Trans out, pull radiator, and probably take the turbo out along with the fan. Hoping I don't have to take the AC system loose. Any other help would be great. Never pulled this engine. How do the engine mounts come apart?

96 Ford F-350 200 cc's, Electric fuel system, TS chip, 17 oil pump, Banks intercooler, 3" intake manifolds, SNOW Water-Meth system, South Bend DxD 3600, Banks brake, 4" stacks. Tuff country ladder bars.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IH RULES Not a 6.0 fan, engine out right now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Any advice before I pull motor?

I haven't pulled this engine before either, but, generally speaking you don't "break" the a/c, or the power steering system. Pull the compressor and tie it off to the side, same with the power steering. You do want to be careful leaving the fan on because if it gets hit on the way out you may be replacing it. I would think that this motor is so large and heavy that you would not want to pull the motor and trans together. last would be to triple check all of the wiring to make sure it is disconnected. Also I like to get a Haynes manual for vehicles I work on to have some specs and how to's etc, while haynes isn't the best I usually can get out of it enough to do a successful repair

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:45 AM
Kid with a Wrench

Send a message via MSN to AlaskaRedneK

Its not bad. Make sure you have a fuel line disconnect tool if you are going to reuse the stockers.

Theres two bolts on each side of the engine that bolt facing upwards to the block's bracket from the motor mount bracket (hope that made sence).

For the AC take a blanket and lay it over your pass fender just to be safe. You should be able to lay everything over in the passengers side firewall to fender area and the condenser will be hangin up in the air out of the way.

Good luck!
-Matt

'97 F-350 CC/LB 7.3L PSD 4x4 4.10's, Fresh Engine, Stacks, 7 Gauges, AFE, e-fan, BIG Kustom fuel system, 250cc
Hybrids w/ 100%s, H2E, 3" intakes, Bad Boy
Tranny built by me, ARPs, 910s, P-rods, 17*, SD IC

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:48 AM
Kid with a Wrench

Just noticed you had e-fuel, so forget the fuel line tool

-Matt

'97 F-350 CC/LB 7.3L PSD 4x4 4.10's, Fresh Engine, Stacks, 7 Gauges, AFE, e-fan, BIG Kustom fuel system, 250cc

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:48 AM
oilfield trucker

The motor pulls pretty easy. I guess when I pulled mine tho I removed the radiator support so the motor could come straight out, I also left the tranny on when I pulled it. The motor balances just rite if you leave the tranny on and use the two brackets on the motor to pull it. The motor mounts are just two studs that go through the gross member they have 15 or 18 mil nuts on them, I cant remember any more but it one or the other. I left the turbo and downpipe on when I pulled mine also. I wouldnt worry too much about the a/c lines
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Dairy Mechanic

Thanks guys. I'll have to learn a lot of stuff myself. For me it's not a big deal to take transmission out. Done it several times. But if yall think I don't need to, let me know.

96 Ford F-350 200 cc's, Electric fuel system, TS chip, 17 oil pump, Banks intercooler, 3" intake manifolds, SNOW Water-Meth system, South Bend DxD 3600, Banks brake, 4" stacks. Tuff country ladder bars.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Kid with a Wrench

Unless you want it out, just leave it. Take a cumalong on a ratchet strap and attach to both frame rails making a loop supporting the transmission and it will sit just fine.

You can either leave that front support in or take it out. I left mine on as it saves time. If you dont have alot of slack where you hook to the engine you can lift it high enough to clear it with no problems.

-Matt

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Dairy Mechanic

Will the DXD clutch change anything?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:50 AM
PSN Veteran

Removal

Billy T.
[email protected]aol.com

'97 Black F250HD SC 3.55s, Punisher trans, PI Converter, Dana 60 RSK w/ V & C SD springs,
PIS 175/80s, HB Jr, Comp910s, Smith Bros PRs, ARPs, Fluidampr, IC, E-Fuel, CJC Traction blocks, HFHV IDM, T4/BASB, 262K

Other vehicles
-1987 Buick Grand National (Staged)
-2004 Mercury Marauder
-1993 Geo Prizm (beater)
-2016 F350 DRW Utlimate
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:01 AM
Super Hauler!

this is what we did before we pulled it out

08 F-250 CCSB king ranch erics tunes livewire
1985 Peterbilt 359 Big cam III Tuned up a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by prheitz View Post
I change my HPOP oil, the oil does circulate with the regular oil, it doesn't cycle as often and does get dirty sooner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode