White Smoke at start-up - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

White Smoke at start-up

got a 97 7.3 PSD with 139,000 miles not too long ago and was wondering what may be wrong and why the truck blows white smoke at start-up? what happens is i start the truck (it starts up fine) and there is a good size cloud of white smoke, then it continues to smoke pretty good for like 1-2 min, then there is just this faint white smoke that you can see if you look at the exhaust straight on. the truck sat for around 5 days, but it still does this even when the truck was ran the previous day (not quite as bad though). also, the truck could probly use an oil change, and it is stock. just curious whats wrong and what i should do? thanks guys

1997 F-350 7.3 POWER STROKE. XLT, 4X4, BLACK, REG CAB, STRAIGHT PIPED, DIAMOND PLATE TOOL BOX AND BED RAILS
SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 05:31 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: White Smoke at start-up

It sounds like you have glowplug system issues. Start with the glowplug relay. Measure the voltage drop (digital meter leads across the two large terminals on the relay) while the relay is energized (don't go by the wait-to-start light which has nothing to do with the actual state of the relay). Anyrhing more than a 0.5V drop and the relay is bad. If that shows as good then start looking at the glowplugs themselves. On each valvecover connector (there are two per valvecover, top edge front and back ... four total) the outermost pins are for the GP's (inner three are for the injectors). Measure the resistance from the GP pin to ground. Resistance should be from 0.1 to 6 ohms. If those check out good, then the batteries could be losing a bit or even the starter could be going (even though the starter can turn over the engine, just a bit slower can make a big difference! Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
It sounds like you have glowplug system issues. Start with the glowplug relay. Measure the voltage drop (digital meter leads across the two large terminals on the relay) while the relay is energized (don't go by the wait-to-start light which has nothing to do with the actual state of the relay). Anyrhing more than a 0.5V drop and the relay is bad. If that shows as good then start looking at the glowplugs themselves. On each valvecover connector (there are two per valvecover, top edge front and back ... four total) the outermost pins are for the GP's (inner three are for the injectors). Measure the resistance from the GP pin to ground. Resistance should be from 0.1 to 6 ohms. If those check out good, then the batteries could be losing a bit or even the starter could be going (even though the starter can turn over the engine, just a bit slower can make a big difference! Cheers!
wow, thats a good write-up, thanks a lot

1997 F-350 7.3 POWER STROKE. XLT, 4X4, BLACK, REG CAB, STRAIGHT PIPED, DIAMOND PLATE TOOL BOX AND BED RAILS
SOLD

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Clay

A good oil change and fuel filter change could not either
and uh

95 ext 4x4
with fat guy driving

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 PM
PSN Newb

I would guess GP system. But I had the same problem with my 97 with 100k on it. Turned out to be injector o-rings. When your truck is warm and up to temp does it still smoke?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt71 View Post
I would guess GP system. But I had the same problem with my 97 with 100k on it. Turned out to be injector o-rings. When your truck is warm and up to temp does it still smoke?
not really, there is just a very faint haze, but the start-up is a cloud. it also seems to be a little rough starting considering its in the 70s outside and it was running the day before.

SOLD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 12:06 AM
PSN Newb

Start with your glowplug system and go from there. Im not sure but I believe when the engine is a certain temp. the glowplugs arent used to start it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode