Window Motor - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Peon Extraordinaire

Window Motor

Anyone have a write up or tips on replacing a window motor? The rear passenger motor is starting to act up. Thinking of replacing it now before it gets stuck down in a rain storm...

Sam

The Trash Truck
96 CC F350 SRW - Built for SVO and mileage
Go Green - HotFox, Dual Heated Dahl 100s, Fuel Filter Coolant Wrap, ArcticFox
Go Fast - Hybrids, H2E, 6.0 IC, Fuelab, BTS 144.2/291.5 uncorrected

thanx
Rockin-S-Performance - Install, tech support, and advice
Diesel Innovations - Killer Deal on Parts
Tony Wildman/SWAMPS - Tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:27 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Window Motor

I also have this problem. One day the window went down and wouldn't come back up. The rear passenger window. So I took off the door panel to check it out. It sounded like when the window tried to roll up it was in a bind of some sort. The window motor was trying though. So a buddy pushed the window up with the assistance of the motor so rain wouldn't get in until I can figure out a fix....

So would ask the same question as original poster.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:34 PM
PSN Veteran

I had the same problem, and the tracts were dry as a bone. Greased them up and have worked perfect ever since. I actually used wheel bearing grease on them, the really thick stuff. Mine did the same exact thing, on both sides, its been 6 months and still work great!!!!!
They were slow to go down, and wouldn't come back up, but if your motor is out, good luck, that thing looks like a biatch to pull out. I did have to replace my power door lock actuator though, it was toast.

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

1996 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
6637 tymar
285-75-16 BFG All Terrains/Weld Wheels
3:55 gears
Automatic with billet convertor, tugger and alto discs
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Fire junkie

I just did this one here a few months ago, not to bad, hardest part is getting to the bolts to take the motor out, as you have to drill some holes to get to them, I got the motor from NPD as they had the exact one for that door, as far as drilling holes to get the bolts out, here is what I did. I got a small drill bit and drilled thru the door pannel in the areas were I thought the bolt was, then useing a flashlight to look in, and a mall mirror held inside the door to tell me which way I needed to go to center over the bolt, once I was on / near the bolt I then used a bigger bit to cut a hole to get to the bolts, over all not to hard took maybe ~1.5 - 2 hrs from start to finish. Now I need to replace the door lock acuator in the drivers side rear

stay safe out there
Roy

96 F250 C.C. , Rebuilt E4ODx2, open air intake, Hypermax downpipe,straight 4", Stage 1's, Autometer EGT, Boost, & Tran temp, Upgraded trannie cooler, Custom home built front & rear bumpers, head ache rack and 60 gal. Aux. fuel tank
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 05:41 AM
PSN Veteran

Many times the plastic dogs inside the motor disintegrate causing the problems. The motor comes out without too much trouble as Roy pointed out. The dogs are available in th HELP! section at most parts places. Other folks have used 5/16" nuts in lieu of the dogs. As far as the door lock actuator, you have to drill out the large rivet in the lower rear edge of the door and unhook the rod (not really that bad). Check to make sure that the rod that goes to the actual lock pull on the door is not binding (sometime they are tie-wrapped to the inner door sheetmetal). When I replaced my actuator, I bought a factory Ford actuator from anther vehicle and switched the rod from my old actuator (the motor part of the actuator was the same in both). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 05:14 PM
PSN Veteran

Door lock actuator
I went to a local car stereo place and bought a generic actuator, built a little shield around it with tin from lowes, and mounted it right up, worked like a charm, and cost me 12 bucks. Ford wanted like 150.00 per actuator for theirs.

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

1996 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
6637 tymar
285-75-16 BFG All Terrains/Weld Wheels
3:55 gears
Automatic with billet convertor, tugger and alto discs
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:15 PM
PSN Veteran

i just replaced my driver side, it was a PITA lol there are 3 botls that hold it in, 2 are decently accesible with a small bax wrench, and the 3d one on the bottom you can see from looking up inthe little slot in the door just below the motor its self, i just said screw it and i cut out 2 small tabs in the door roughly where the bolts were and used a ratchet with an extension, ;you need alot of patience if you dont want to cut the door, but i figured its all covered up so i didnt mind. its helpfull to have 2 people on this, as soon as you pull the motor the window falls down, and you havbe to preferably have small arms for this opperation.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 PM
PSN Veteran

If u window doesnt go back up get a pry bar or something and hit the window motor these are the first sign that the motor is junk.

E99 F-350 CCSB 4x4

1990 F250 7.3idi 4x4 5 speed- SOLD!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode