Heavy Orange Wire in the trailer brake harness? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
97 OBS PSD

Heavy Orange Wire in the trailer brake harness?

The heavy Orange Wire in the trailer brake harness, where does it go? What was it for? There are three wires going to the plug near the drivers side rear. The heavy blue trailer brake wire is one, but I cannot figure out the function of the other two.

Thanks in Advance,

Aaron

97 PSD 4X4 250K, Ron Holland/Banks 1.00 A/R, EBPV Delete, 3" DP, Kitty Delete, PHP Phoenix 6 POS, 140V IDM, Autometers on the Pillar,4" Intake, 17 degree SD pump, 18-20 psi depending on setting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Heavy Orange Wire in the trailer brake harness?

pretty sure the orange wire is constant 12v for charging batteries etc on trailer,? anyone else, and the other may be reverse lights?? anyone?

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
97 OBS PSD

Ii did not find any power on the wire with a voltmeter. I am going out now to check fuses. Never thought of reverse...

Thanks Aaron

97 PSD 4X4 250K, Ron Holland/Banks 1.00 A/R, EBPV Delete, 3" DP, Kitty Delete, PHP Phoenix 6 POS, 140V IDM, Autometers on the Pillar,4" Intake, 17 degree SD pump, 18-20 psi depending on setting...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 02:59 AM
PSN Veteran

on the towing forum someone said that it only has voltage when key is on.

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedge8 View Post
on the towing forum someone said that it only has voltage when key is on.
Thats true, and in that way the trucks batteries doesnt empty when the trailer is there connected

F-250 PSD 1996 ext.cab 2WD, Short bed, E4OD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
97 OBS PSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKER #1 View Post
Thats true, and in that way the trucks batteries doesnt empty when the trailer is there connected
I have a fuse under the dash that powers a trailer battery recharge relay and a maxi fuse under the hood that supplies line side voltage to this same relay. I cannot find the relay.

The black wire/green stripe in the same harness is supposed to be for the reverse lights oj the trailer, but it does not work either...

I have a manual for a 92 and it shows a relay, but does not mention where it might be...

Thanks,

Aaron

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
97 OBS PSD

My connections for the underhood relays for these circuits was deadheaded behind the engine compartment fuse box. Turns out that Ford spent the money to put in the wiring, connections, and fuses but never installed the relays. Gonna wire a relay in to the charge wire. The reverse wire isn't terribly important right now....

Aaron

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:10 PM
PSN Veteran

Mine had the factory "towing package" and the factory had installed two additional relays next to the underhood power box (if my lousy memory is correct).

'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
97 OBS PSD

That's the devils that I was missing. I was confused as the line side fuse was in place, the relay coil fuse was in place. All the wiring was in place to the rear bumper. Everything but the relays. Oh well, I will solder and heatshrink in a nice 30 amp Bosch unit and be done with the mess. Might even put a 10 amp in for the reverse wire...

Aaron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode