Brake pedal drops... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
The Oracle

Send a message via AIM to BigRed97
Brake pedal drops...

hey guys

this started a while ago but has been getting worse lately, almost caused me to rear end someone at a stop light(partly because i wasnt paying attention)

here it is: when sitting at a stop, with my foot on the brake....it(the pedal) will slowly start to drop to the floor. as it drops the holding ability of the brakes fades with it, and the truck will begin creeping forward.

if i jab the pedal harder when this happens it will stop(but the pedal will be way low)

now my rear brakes have been pretty bad for a while, so i was thinking it was the wheel cyl's but i have absolutely no fluid loss from the master.

im wondering if there is a problem with the booster or vac pump....

any ideas?

CCLB with some stuff done .....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 02:12 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred
Re: Brake pedal drops...

If you know your rear brakes are bad, I would suggest starting there.....

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 02:59 AM
PSN Local

i had the same issue big red. I replaced the booster and still had the same problem then replaced the little switch and the entire brake system under the reservoir where you add brake fluid. that fixed it a little more then i did hte vaccuum pump and now my brakes are 100%

1996 Ford f-350 7.3l psd Tony Wildman 6 pos chip, 6637 intake, Autometer gauges, 6" silverline aussie stacks

1995 F-Super Duty 5 speed 6637 intake, straight piped

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
The Oracle

smokyred... the rears are bad, as in the shoe linnings are worn out. but as i stated, there is absolutely NO fluid loss at the master... and this condition has been present long enough that i would see a drop in the fluid level if the wheel cyl's were leaking(even slightly)

Black, what switch are you talking about?

i was thinking, wouldnt a bad vac pump cause a hard pedal??

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 AM
PSN Veteran

sounds like classic master cyl failure the seals in the master are starting to leak and let fluid past them instead of putting pressure out to the brakes, if you let it go long enough you'll have to pump the pedal just to get enough pressure to stop with. start with the master and go from there.

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 AM
all ur OBS r belong to me

Send a message via MSN to OldschoolPSD

Agreed... if it were the vaccum pump or booster the petal would get hard, not soft.

Ford stopped building trucks in 1997

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
The Oracle

damn....oh well, hyro-boost time!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Just another OBS addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedge8 View Post
sounds like classic master cyl failure the seals in the master are starting to leak and let fluid past them instead of putting pressure out to the brakes, if you let it go long enough you'll have to pump the pedal just to get enough pressure to stop with. start with the master and go from there.

1995 F250 SCLB 4X4 Auto - '97 D60/10.5" rear, 4.5" PMF RSK/V's, PMF Trac Bars, Sway Bars, MBRP Exhaust, DP F5, Efuel, RRD Diff Cover, Tymar Intake, Isspro Performaxs/Quad Pod, Recon Cab Lights, 05 Lariat SD Steering Wheel
FF250/2's, ARP Studs, Comp Beehives, Smith Bros Pushrods, 1.15 38r, RRD Boost Fooler, 99.5+ Intake, SD 7.3 IC
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 01:14 PM
PSN Local

the wires under the booster and the fluid reservoir i changed all those pieces as well along withe the booster and vacuum pump.

1996 Ford f-350 7.3l psd Tony Wildman 6 pos chip, 6637 intake, Autometer gauges, 6" silverline aussie stacks

1995 F-Super Duty 5 speed 6637 intake, straight piped
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:43 PM
PSN Veteran

Ford covered the creeping brake pedal in a TSB, here's the info from Dieselmann's site:

1997 and earlier diesel trucks equiped with vacuum power brakes--Low/creeping pedal:
Many owners have complained of a low or creeping brake pedal on their trucks, often mistaken for a bad master cylinder or Rear ABS valve. If the condition occurs after the vehicle has come to a stop, and no other brake concerns are found, (worn or out-of-adjusted brakes, cocked pads, or hydraulic problems) the condition is normal and the result of the vacuum pump replenishing the vacuum inside the power booster. Ford has developed a Zero-Loss Travel brake booster to correct this condition if the customer finds it unacceptable. This part is only for use on diesel-equiped trucks--P/N F5TZ-2005-CA--and is not a service replacement; it must be ordered by the part number, not vehicle application.

This condition is similar to the low brake pedal concern on all 1995 F-series that required a larger-diameter master cylinder:

Trucks without cruise control:

F6TZ-2140-AB
F-250 Gas 4X2; F-350 DRW, SRW Gas 4X2, SRW 7.3 4X2 168" WB
F6TZ-2140-EB
F-250 4X4, 7.3 4X2; F-350 SRW 4X4, SRW 7.3 4X2 133" WB
Trucks with cruise control:

F6TZ-2140-BA
F-250 Gas 4X2; F-350 DRW, SRW Gas 4X2, SRW 7.3 4X2 168" WB
F6TZ-2140-FB
F-250 4X4, 7.3 4X2; F-350 SRW 4X4, SRW 7.3 4X2 133" WB
These part numbers are from TSB's 96-25-19 and 98-5A-34, and are not normal service-stock replacment parts.

'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in