Opinions on buying an OBS - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
4x4
PSN Local

Opinions on buying an OBS

I'm looking at downsizing (my monthly payment) to an older truck. I'm looking at one truck in particular but have a general question about mileage and condition and such. This 96, CC, with 168K has 4" lift, canopy, rebuilt auto tranny, and one of those replacement bumper/grills that house a winch. I will be looking at it this week but from the pics and from conversation I think its in great condition. I could get it for under $13K.

I am just afraid that it will need something major in the near future and whether its engine or tranny I'll be back into an expensive truck by the time I am done. No one can know the future, I understand that, but I figured I would throw this out and get opinions and then ask when I should be concerned about how many miles a truck has, even if it looks and sounds clean?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve

1996 F350, CC, LB, 4x4, 4" lift, 35" MT's, 4.10, 3" DP, Tymar in.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 01:59 AM
PSN Local

Re: Opinions on buying an OBS

Id do it, u should be fine, I bought mine stock with 160000 miles on it and i just rolled over 195000 miles. It just had its 3rd birthday (with me) and Ive replaced 5 glowplugs, ball joints, and the batteries, I service it every 3-4000 miles and stay up on other maint. Give it a good look over for the normal 7.3 stuff and you should be ok, but you never know. Id say after 250000, Id do a compression test before buying, or if it looks like its been rode hard put away wet. Hope that helps
Dan

97 PSD 34
470hp/940tq, FFD, BDP, TW, RockinSPerf, Tymar, Stealth Oil, modded H2E, 230 cc a codes studs&springs, dual 4" exhaust, 7.3 IC, gauges, TC LU,TC/shiftkit, Family rig:02 7.3 Excursion tymar intake, 4"mbrp tb, evo 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 01:31 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Dan97 View Post
Id do it, u should be fine, I bought mine stock with 160000 miles on it and i just rolled over 195000 miles. It just had its 3rd birthday (with me) and Ive replaced 5 glowplugs, ball joints, and the batteries, I service it every 3-4000 miles and stay up on other maint. Give it a good look over for the normal 7.3 stuff and you should be ok, but you never know. Id say after 250000, Id do a compression test before buying, or if it looks like its been rode hard put away wet. Hope that helps
Dan
I got my 97 F-250 crew cab short box 4x4 with 195k paid 7,000 for it is fully loaded. So far I have put a transmission and converter in it and rebuilt the injectors I also replaced the glow plugs as a safety measure and I knew who had been working on it . I have also put on a set of tires. I looked high and low for an obs like this one.
P.S. this truck was sold because the shop that worked on it could never fix a problem it had(cam sensor plug was jacked causing an intermittent jerking and bucking) .

97 crew cab shorty-4x4 Lots of mods .
Tuned by T Wildman

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
4x4
PSN Local

Appreciate the input. The seller says the aftermarket bumper was $2000. There's no winch in it now. I will be taking it off. I'm only familiar with SD's and assume this bumper will fit only OBSs but was wondering if I could sell it for $1000. Any thoughts on that? It is black.

tx

Steve

1996 F350, CC, LB, 4x4, 4" lift, 35" MT's, 4.10, 3" DP, Tymar in.....
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 02:12 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
Appreciate the input. The seller says the aftermarket bumper was $2000. There's no winch in it now. I will be taking it off. I'm only familiar with SD's and assume this bumper will fit only OBSs but was wondering if I could sell it for $1000. Any thoughts on that? It is black.

tx
I have a full replacement ranch hand on mine . Ask 1500 then go down alittle. I had heard the same bumper I have on my truck is still 750-800 bucks.

Tuned by T Wildman
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 05:09 AM
<----Colin Banks

My 96 is the best truck I have ever had. I will never sell it. With about 120K on it, there is not 1 rattle, it has only lost 1 CPS and 1 front auto hub and that is all I have had to fix on it. Everything else I have done to it was to maintain or mod it. And with the reverse shackle system up front it rides like a dream. I turned down $18K not too long ago for it.

><>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><

1996 PSD F-350 crew cab 4x4, 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK- Tuned by DI

2013 F250 4x4 CCLB Platinum Edition
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 12:05 AM
all ur OBS r belong to me

Send a message via MSN to OldschoolPSD

13k sounds reasonable. FWIW no issues with mine except for the tranny at 130k and that was most definatly driver abuse...

Ford stopped building trucks in 1997

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:16 AM

Hey Steve,
My 1995 has 326,000 miles on it and with the exception of a fuel leak issue I am having the truck has been very low on maint. cost for me since 1998 when I got it. I average 18 - 20mpg at 1900rpms, however, mine is 2WD.

Anyways, a Pro point being it has been a very dependable truck. Con point is that you don't know how someone treated the PSD you are looking at. As rugged as these trucks are I would probably be inclined to buy another one (OBS).

Craig
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:20 AM
Don't EFN worry about it

Mine had a bad problem like I said above but, I got it fixed and I love it when people comment me on it.

Tuned by T Wildman
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:21 PM
OBS junkie

Remember that F350s got the Dana 60 & the F250s got the IFS Dana 50.
I'll buy that bumper from you for $400

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode