Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Top radiator hose air pocket

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Dieselfever 
#1 ·
The other day I changed my leaking (rotted out) thermostat housing and while refilling with coolant noticed the top hose (above the a/c compressor) had a cool spot. I decided Ford must have been in a hurry to finish up and came up with the goofy hose that has the high point causing the dead spot (cavitation point?). I made an aluminum center piece to realign and lower the hose after cutting it in the middle as well as turning it around, cool spot is now gone. I am considering adding a fitting to the center piece with a tiny bleed hole back to the bottle via the small hose coming from the radiator top tank.

See less See more
#2 ·
Once the thernostat opens, that hose will fill with coolant. It's normal for it to be empty when the truck is cold.

But hey, more power to ya, you now have a custom 2 piece hose, polish that piece of pipe up!

Dave

#3 ·
When I refill them with coolant I usually pump the upper hose to force the air bubbles out until it is full. Then run it up to operating temp to open the thermostat and re-check it and top it off.

-Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.