Auto Trans Fluid question? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Etaylor0056

Auto Trans Fluid question?

Iv always herd that if you buy vehicle and do not have the service records on it that you should not change the trans fluid or the trans will fail shortly after doing so. Now i have alway had manuals and don't know a lot about auto trans so im asking yall. I have a 96 f250 with 256k miles and do not know if ever has it been changed. The previous owner keep good care of the truck but im not for sure if he ever changed it, Would there be any problems if i changed the fluild and maybe the filter??? And what trans fluid is the most reputable and effective for these truck? Thanks

2008 6.4,75k MILES! DD H&S XRT PRO lastest version, Stright 4", 20X10 Monster XD with 33X12 Nitto Mud Grappler, Max4 Seat Covers and Floormats. One Badazz truck!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 02:25 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Auto Trans Fluid question?

If its a e40d it takes 6.4 quarts,the filter comes with a gasket. Their is no drain plug(atleast on my 95) so I suggest have some extra hands and a big oil catch pan,I believe that the recommended trains fluid is dex or merc. And your transmission pan should be a deep dish,also you will find a magnet stuck to the bottom of the pan,it will be covered in a black substance,so get a couple cans of brake parts cleaner,some rags to and clean that and also your pan where the gasket will sit,and also where it will sit on transmission,I suggest a small tip funnel to add fluid through check hole
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 AM
PSN Local

I plan to swap my tranny oil out this spring. The tranny has just been rebuilt so I know it's good yet,but I would like to add a B&M drain plug. Is there enough room fo one to be installed in the oil pan?

Pat Harmon

Kinda boring and mostly stock with a couple mods
1995 F 350 7.3L Crew Cab Dually Automatic
4 inch Flo Pro exhaust RJM Injection headlight harness,new headlights and lenses Ultralite boost and pyrometer gauges in a 2 gauge pillar pod open air filter mod,heated gooseneck mirrors with led lights,Open element filter

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 02:37 AM
PSN Veteran

Where the drop in the pan is there should be some room their,and also it shouldn't hurt at all to change your fluid,also look into a shift kit because they get rid of that sluggish shift,they are simple to install and also the suggested torque applied on transmission bolts is 12 lbs
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Bleeds IH Red

When I got mine with 298k I didn't know the history. I added a cooler and shift kit, when I had the pan off I added a drain plug. When the cooler lines were off I ran 5 gallons of fresh atf through til the fluid was new, the old stuff was dark and stinky. I tow all the time and lock the tc on the highway and I never see trans temps over 140.

-Jon
1980 IH Scout Terra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6.9L

1971 IH Travelette Crew Cab
DTA466 swap.

1991 F350 CCLB DWR 7.3L Banks Sidewinder/ E4OD 2WD
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Etaylor0056

Ok this is good stuff, I looked on ebay and found a drain plug that will work. I'm planning on running some Valvoline Trans fluid. Now what about the shift kits??? More information would be good on them. Im getting a chip from php today hopfully after waiting for 2 weeks. I thought that it would be the equivilant of a shift kit??? Am i right or wrong??? How hard are the kits to put in and how big of a help were they to the truck chiped or not? \

2008 6.4,75k MILES! DD H&S XRT PRO lastest version, Stright 4", 20X10 Monster XD with 33X12 Nitto Mud Grappler, Max4 Seat Covers and Floormats. One Badazz truck!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 PM
PSN Veteran

The whole trans holds well over 6.4 quarts of fluid. It is like 19 or 20 by its self.

1997 Ford F-250 Sleeper Edition
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM
PSN Local

You will need 20 quarts to change the fluid

1996 F250 SWB Crew Cab
Western Hauler
2wd auto.
Full BTS Transmission
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Bleeds IH Red

I used a trans go tugger kit. Easy to install and works flawlessly

-Jon
1980 IH Scout Terra

6.9L

1971 IH Travelette Crew Cab
DTA466 swap.

1991 F350 CCLB DWR 7.3L Banks Sidewinder/ E4OD 2WD
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 AM
PSN Veteran

Its 6.4 quarts to do a change,the whole tranny holds 16 quarts,same as motor,trust me I put 16 in mine and it over filled,when you change your fluid your torque converter isn't drained,so all you need is 6.4 quarts and as for a shift kit,its simple as hell to put it in,take valve body out of transmission,its right their once you take pan off,add a set of springs and a new actuator,put it back in,c done,world of difference and once I added my chip it SLAMMED into gear until my shift kit,nice and smooth now,I'd check xdp,bully dog has a nice one for 60$,but thats my opinion,others might say different,but I haven't had any trouble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode