Deck Trucked home :( - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Deck Trucked home :(

Kind of a pouty boy right now.... opted to deck truck sig rig home this afternoon. Off to Alpine ski early this morning and part way to my local Mountain sounded like missing... would idle ok but under acceleration missing.
Almost like water in fuel, stopped checked the water separator nuthin. Got progressively worse and worse so I parked it and road with the wife (lucky two vehicles today too long to explain..) anyways awesome day ripping around on snow then fired it up to drive home and idled badly missing on cylinders. Got out on the highway and black smoke under acceleration and would hardly pull itself, finally it shut down and quit. Didn't bother to mess with it on the side of the highway called the wreckers and decked it home.

So initially thought it was water in fuel water separator, but it ran clean fuel upon opening. Then though it might be the 6.0 e-fuel pump going out as it idled fine initially and would miss at higher RPM and would fire up no problems, will swap a new spare in and see what happens. Will get some codes read just to see....

Still scratchin my head as it was blowing a bit of black smoke (thinking unburnt fuel) but the boost was like at 5 lbs, pyrometer has been intermittent this winter and was waiting for spring to mess with that....

First time engine has let me down least I was relatively close to home and a warm sunny day and a wicked day of skiing...

Will no doubt be pestering you guys soon....

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Deck Trucked home :(

About a year ago I rode in my FILs 97 on the back of a rollback about 5 miles back to the house at 2am after fighting a CPS for 60 miles, with a 20 ft car trailer in tow. Some days you're the windshield and others, the bug.

Yeah, pull any codes and may want to see if you can read fuel pressure while driving. Smoke could be low pressure because the injectors are not spraying good. Also, if the throttle just feels dead, it could be fuel. If its good but misses, then something else.

keep us posted--

2000 F250 CCSB-- GT4294R, 250/100s, Dahl/Fuelab, PHP, scan gauge, stock 17* pump

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
1997 F250 CCSB 2wd (sold)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 AM
PSN Veteran

I would try a CPS.

Billy T.
[email protected]

'97 Black F250HD SC 3.55s, Punisher trans, PI Converter, Dana 60 RSK w/ V & C SD springs,
PIS 175/80s, HB Jr, Comp910s, Smith Bros PRs, ARPs, Fluidampr, IC, E-Fuel, CJC Traction blocks, HFHV IDM, T4/BASB, 262K

Other vehicles
-1987 Buick Grand National (Staged)
-2004 Mercury Marauder
-1993 Geo Prizm (beater)
-2016 F350 DRW Utlimate

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 06:06 PM
PSN Local

did you check the fuel filter itself or have a different fuel filter apart from the water separator? i've had the same symptoms as you when my fuel filter was clogged. new filter and back to normal

'96 F-250 XLT,x-cab,4x4,BTS,363k,dana60,Swamps175/173s,Dieselsite Adrenaline HPOP,CPR Fuel system,rear discs,4" dp to 6" exhaust,twin 6" stacks,Tymar, Boost Pyro Tranny and white-faced gauges,I/C,onboard air,HX mod,TW 6-position chip
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Not made time just yet to get at it... the intent is to get messin with it tomorrow. I did try to turn it over today and it would fire but not run. Thinking at this point I'll start with the 6.0 HFCM electric pump first. I have a pre pump filter, Donaldson P558000 20-30 micron with integrated H20 separator then the fuel goes into the 6.0 HFCM electric pump and it has it's own filter and water separator in the HCFM and finally post filter is a Cat 1R-750, 2 micron. I did check the Donaldson and there didn't seem to be any water/dirt come out.

I have the 6.0 Horizontal Fuel Condition Module (HFCM) set up such that the ground (for power) runs through a oil pressure switch (at the oil filter housing). It may have failed or I'm thinking the e-pump in the HFCM failed. Interesting the truck has always fired and ran with the pump effectively not pumping until the oil pressure came up.

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 PM
PSN Local

how many miles on the setup? and have you changed the 2 micron filter yet? i would start with that before changing the pump.

'96 F-250 XLT,x-cab,4x4,BTS,363k,dana60,Swamps175/173s,Dieselsite Adrenaline HPOP,CPR Fuel system,rear discs,4" dp to 6" exhaust,twin 6" stacks,Tymar, Boost Pyro Tranny and white-faced gauges,I/C,onboard air,HX mod,TW 6-position chip
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

68,000 miles (113,000 kms) and changed all three filters within 2 months. Was gonna test fire the pump w/o engine running to check flow. I have a spare pump in the tool box.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Got 'er running. Tried to fire it up and it would not run on it's own, but would fire. Changed out the CPS and it seemed to run but only with the starter assisting. By passed the oil pressure switch and turned the key on, e-pump works. Tried to fire it up with oil pressure switch by passed and it fired right up. So it would appear the oil pressure switch was faulty. However I broke the ground circuit (to the e-pump) with engine running and it kept running, so am thinking the injectors would/may draw fuel on their own at idle. Was too late to dick about to test the continuity of the oil pressure switch and will test tomorrow.

jrc

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 04:31 AM
PSN Veteran

Are you gonna take the oil pressure switch out?

Rusty

1997 F250 CC/SB 7.3 PSD 4X4 XLT, 248,000 miles
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty1161 View Post
Are you gonna take the oil pressure switch out?

Rusty
Yes and replace it, if it's faulty which at this point I'm thinking it is. Oh and Rusty this is an aftermarket oil pressure switch Holley brand and is plumbed into oil filter head.

jrc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode