Charging light on - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Charging light on

Newer here, but not new to Fords or diesels, owned 3 IDI's in the past, an E99 F250, and currently have a 94 12 valve and a 97 F350 4x4 7.3/E4OD. I bought the F350 exactly a month ago and the batteries where junk, 10 years old and mismatched so I put in a pair of new Deka 900 CCA batteries, cleaned up all the cables, the grounds, and the end on the starter. It wouldn't charge unless around 12-1300 rpm so I tested the originial alternator with a DTAC in the truck and it was junk, replaced with a Reman 130 amp unit from O'Reillys(Ultima brand) last weekend and all has seemed fine. I took a trip to Appleton this weekend and it ran good all the way up, and most of the way back, but as I was driving around 60 I tapped the brakes to kick off the cruise coming into a town. The little red battery light started flickering and shutting on and off, if I get it above 1500 rpm driving it stops, but other than that it does not seem RPM specific, at a couple lights in town it was off and others it was flickering, not a constant on but very fast flashing. The whole time my voltmeter never dropped from the right side of the M in normal on the gauge, so I dont believe its an issue with the alternator, but a wiring issue. Does anyone have a schematic or a place to start looking?

97 F350 XLT RCLB 4x4, 7.3, E4OD, PHP 6-position, 6637, 4 inch turbo back MBRP, Modern 16x10's, 285 Dynapro A/T's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Charging light on

I have something along the same lines but my light stays on ALL the time. New batteries and alt load tests normal. I am stumped as to why it's staying on. It has been load tested on and off the truck at various places including an auto elec shop we work with out of our shop. All places say good. I did however find a body ground above the pass valve cover area that goes to I assume somewhere on the engine but it is just dangling. Alldata at work is not showing where it goes.

kyleson, on yours I would have it warrantied out. We have had quite a few Ultima line alt and starters bad out of the box.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 PM
PSN Veteran

There is a small wire that plugs into the top of the alternator (single wire) that controls that light. Mine started doing the same thing, the factory end had worn loose. I simply put a new pigtail with a water tight 90* angle plug on, and its a nice tight fit, no more issues. To verify this is your problem, have someone watch the light wile you press on the little connector. If it goes off, or blinks as you wiggle it, Problem solved.

-06 CCLB 6.0, studs, heads reworked, studs, dummy plugs, stand pipe, updated stc fitting, egr delete, 6.4 banjos, blue spring, New oil cooler, 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney Wild, 4 inch exhaust
SOLD-1996 f250 4x4, ZF5 with BASB and 175/100s
-2002 F250 4x4, auto, ECLB, CAI, CCV mod, Dp-Tuner, air heater delete, 4"dp, billet 38R

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 AM
PSN Veteran

Good writeups my truck just started to have the battery light on all the time also but my truck amp gauge says its charging tomorrow after work ill check it out thanks guys!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 AM
PSN Veteran

What jeremiahmercier said is what I'd check first, engine vibration can make the connection poor, it's a blade (inside the alternator) and the female plug gets loose. So either replace the plug or pinch the female plug is what I did iirc.

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I'll have to look tomorrow but I remember that plug, I've done quite a few OBS alternators and have gotten it down to like 5 minutes on and off lol much simpler than on my 5.8

97 F350 XLT RCLB 4x4, 7.3, E4OD, PHP 6-position, 6637, 4 inch turbo back MBRP, Modern 16x10's, 285 Dynapro A/T's
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahmercier View Post
There is a small wire that plugs into the top of the alternator (single wire) that controls that light. Mine started doing the same thing, the factory end had worn loose. I simply put a new pigtail with a water tight 90* angle plug on, and its a nice tight fit, no more issues. To verify this is your problem, have someone watch the light wile you press on the little connector. If it goes off, or blinks as you wiggle it, Problem solved.
This is dead on. I had the exact same problem with mine... the charge light flickered on and off all the time, yet the volt gauge was showing the alt charging just fine. Pulling that little connector off the alternator, cut the factory one off and crimped on a new female spade connector and heatshrink wrap over the top, put a little di-electric grease on for good measure and plugged 'er back in. No more charge light flickering.

[EDIT]: Make sure your heater hoses aren't rubbing on the wiring there as well, I think this is what caused my issue with the loose connector in the first place. A small zip tie around them was enough to move the one out of the way enough to keep it from rubbing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode