96 7.3 rough idle miss and white smoke - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

96 7.3 rough idle miss and white smoke

i recently baught a new truck with 220,000 on it witha bad tranny and the guy said it needed an injector but i picked the truck up and started it up and the water in fuel light is on and it is missing and white smoking like crazy so i decided to chamge the filter first and it when i took the filter out the fuel looked terrible that was in there. whats the best way to drain the whole system? and could this be my problem and not the injector?
thanks for any help
-cale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 PM
PSN Local

Re: 96 7.3 rough idle miss and white smoke

What color was the fuel in the filter?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yellow I believe I put it back in just to move it cause I didn't wanna put the new filter in with the bad fuel. I'm just confused on how to drain the fuel system completely. And I know it's bad to run them out of fuel so I didn't know what I would have to do not to hurt anything
Thanks
-Cale

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 02:28 AM
PSN Local

It sounds like its ok just an old filter if its just one injector I doubt it's the fuel
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 02:43 AM
PSN Local

drain whats in the bowl and crank the engine so it pumps fuel into the bowl and see if that fluid has water in it

2000 F250 SCSB 6-speed, stage 3 clutch, lifted 4'' with 37's, 5er, 4'' turbo back, 6637 intake, STAGE II Rosewood singles, PHP Phoenix chip, 38R, 910"s shimed, Traction Bars.

05/12_288.64 RWHP. 575.04 FT-LBS-TQ
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JUST DYNOED! 411 HP 794 FT-LBS-TQ
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 02:56 AM
PSN Local

and the bad fuel can cause the truck to sound like it needs injectors how ever if it needs one injector then it is not caused by the fuel. to drain that bad fuel from the tank it would probably be easiest to drop the tank unless you have some means of sucking fuel out of the tank using a pump.

2000 F250 SCSB 6-speed, stage 3 clutch, lifted 4'' with 37's, 5er, 4'' turbo back, 6637 intake, STAGE II Rosewood singles, PHP Phoenix chip, 38R, 910"s shimed, Traction Bars.

05/12_288.64 RWHP. 575.04 FT-LBS-TQ
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JUST DYNOED! 411 HP 794 FT-LBS-TQ
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok thanks for all the help guys I'm new to the diesel part. I know a gasoline engine pretty good but I'm realizing a lot is different lol but il try draining the system and then some new fuel and a can of injector cleaner and see what that does
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 PM
PSN Local

czangli7 iam new too the diesel world too - i hear ya on the gas jobs thou - i read somewhere maybe it was here that diesel fuel can devolpe a fungis and bacteria problem when left sitting - it can gum up injectors and cause em too run rough - there is a fuel treatment for this its a biocede treatment , i also have the same issue bought a truck needs trans work and had been sitting for some time - so ill be trying this treatment in a while or watching your thread too see what you come up with iam still fighting the tranny too get her out too replace this clutch good luck with that fuel system
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

New update- i tried a new fuel pump, didnt work. and now i hooked up the computer to it and did an injector buzz test and it gave me a 1668 code back and that from what i found points to a bad idm? would this seem likely to cause this? the only reason im saying that is because i dont wanna go and spend 350 on a idm and have it not fix it.
thanks for any input
-cale
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

just did a cylinder contribution test and got cyliunder 6 balance faullt and im gonna try an injector tonight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode