Losing power when ready for oil change, and new chip - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
wsm
PSN Newb

Losing power when ready for oil change, and new chip

Has anyone noticed, or maybe its just me or my truck... When it is about due for an oil change it starts to run a bit slow. power is lost from a dead stop and idles sporadically. Truck is stock besides an intake. Also, I have a 6 position chip for it but cant seem to get it to work. no wait to start light, and check engine light stays on. remove the chip and all works fine. contacts are perfect. took extra time to get them as clean as possible. Chip is not fried because i sent it back and they said it was perfectly fine. Please help. thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:22 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Losing power when ready for oil change, and new chip

What oil are you using? I can run my dino oil 7,000 miles between changes with no problems.

As for the chip something isn't right. Either the contacts on the PCM are not clean enough, or it is a chip problem. Was the chip burnt for your PCM code?

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
wsm
PSN Newb

Im really not sure what oil is in the truck. I just take it to the quick lane at the ford dealership. as far as the chip being burnt for the pcm code, i ordered it from kt performance, and all they ask for is what yr, model, tans type, and if it is a california truck or not. So as far as burning the chip to the pcm, i doubt it. i did however notice that when i pulled the pcm out to clean it, the sticker said it was a reman from ford. so idk if that could be the issue... beats me

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM
PSN Local

u need to clean the plug on both sides if not clean it will not work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 97 f350 cclb drw 300,000 miles stage 2 160 100 sticks 17* hpop sd ic turbo set up off a t444e sd fuel pump ts chip cat fuel filters stage 3 ceramic clutch 410 gears 3 in down pipe to 4 in out the back 6637 air filter all the gauges fuel hpop pyro boost oil temp 50 gal fuel tank
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
wsm
PSN Newb

i read a bunch of stuff before pulling th pcm out to clean it. i believe it is the cleanest it is going to get as far as that part is concerned. Every problem ive seen and read about is a problem with just cleaning the terminals. so i took my time and made sure it was perfect. and to no success. and when you look at the chip, there are only about 5 contacts that are actually connected to the chip. im so lost here.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 05:39 PM
PSN Local

when I put mine in I thought I had it clean could not get to start had to pull it out and clean it up more that stuff is hard to get off there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 97 f350 cclb drw 300,000 miles stage 2 160 100 sticks 17* hpop sd ic turbo set up off a t444e sd fuel pump ts chip cat fuel filters stage 3 ceramic clutch 410 gears 3 in down pipe to 4 in out the back 6637 air filter all the gauges fuel hpop pyro boost oil temp 50 gal fuel tank
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 PM
PSN Local

or could be a bad chip

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM
PSN Veteran

You need to find out what oil they're putting in. And it would be good to know how many miles you're going per OCI. But generally, yes, if you push your oil to its duration limit, it will affect how the engine runs. This just reflects the double-duty nature of the oil in our trucks, as lubricant and as hydraulic "power" to the injectors.

The phrase "quick lane" is a bit cautionary, as well. There's nothing "quick" about changing 14 quarts of oil. How long does it take them to do it? And how many quarts of oil are they charging you for?

As for the chip, have you reported back to the mfr that it's still not working? Do you know anybody else with an OBS PSD on whose truck you can try it?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
wsm
PSN Newb

i guess ill pull it out once more and really get at it to clean more.

the quick lane here is basically only oil changes. Not really checking the truck into service for an oil change. You are right they should change their name to "not so quick" lane.

A friend of mine works at a car lot with the same truck just a dually.
96 f350. My only concern is plugging the chip into that truck and either ruining my chip, or their truck.

I guess i can give the mfr a call and see what the deal is also. Thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 PM
PSN Veteran

One thing to remember is that you can get it too clean and be out a PCM. Here are the instructions from TDP's web site.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

Last edited by Bugman; 11-14-2015 at 06:19 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode