97 f350 problem (Please need Help) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

97 f350 problem (Please need Help)

I have a 97 F350 powerstroke. Today it would not start because of weak batterys. Put a charger on it for 30 mins and started it. About 20 Mins later abs light is on and volt meter and speedo are not working. Then speedo starts working. Then all guages quit speedo, tac, ect. Then overdrive light starts flashing. then auto transmission starts acting up. Made it home and it died in front of the house. ofcourse batterys were dead. And Relay 2 under hood was clicking. Im assuming i toasted the alternator with the charger but not sure. Any suggestions where to start looking for the problem would be great. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 05:39 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 97 f350 problem (Please need Help)

First off welcome . Second get your batteries checked and check them one at a time disconnecting the batteries .

96 cclb f350.
idm mod,
gauges-boost/pyro/trans temp
afe stage 2 intake
dp to 4" straight pipe
studs, springs, pushrods
srp1
intercooler
electric fuel convertion
238/100
dp-tuner f6
T-4 mount and s470.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 AM
PSN Veteran

if you get it running again, after testing batteries, check voltage output of alternator, it should be around 13.7v-14.4v(somewhere in that range, +/- some)... if its a little lower, like around 10.5v-12v, try disconnecting 1 battery, and see if your voltage comes up. If it does come up, leave it and let it charge the 1 battery 1st. you could charge the other with an ac charger at the same time. ive had similar issue before, but... I drained mine trying to start in cold weather for a looooong time one morning (glow plug relay issue). Once i assisted the alternater in getting the batteries up to about 12.5v-13v, the alternater was able to pickup the load of both batteries, and maintain proper voltage. Its been a month now and no issues since. Mine maintaines about 14.3-14.4v now..... P.S. i originally drained mine to about 9v. Let us know what you find.

-06 CCLB 6.0, studs, heads reworked, studs, dummy plugs, stand pipe, updated stc fitting, egr delete, 6.4 banjos, blue spring, New oil cooler, 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney Wild, 4 inch exhaust
SOLD-1996 f250 4x4, ZF5 with BASB and 175/100s
-2002 F250 4x4, auto, ECLB, CAI, CCV mod, Dp-Tuner, air heater delete, 4"dp, billet 38R

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 AM
JFURNER77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayton View Post
I have a 97 F350 powerstroke. Today it would not start because of weak batterys. Put a charger on it for 30 mins and started it. About 20 Mins later abs light is on and volt meter and speedo are not working. Then speedo starts working. Then all guages quit speedo, tac, ect. Then overdrive light starts flashing. then auto transmission starts acting up. Made it home and it died in front of the house. ofcourse batterys were dead. And Relay 2 under hood was clicking. Im assuming i toasted the alternator with the charger but not sure. Any suggestions where to start looking for the problem would be great. thanks
The alternator will be overworked from bad batteries. How old are the batteries??
You need to have 12v for all the relays to work. Replace batteries & alternator. Check and make sure all connections are secure. Check all your fuses. Get the charging system tested. Good luck..

1997 F350 4X4 XLT CREW CAB
7.3L POWERSTOKE DIESEL 390,000
T/S 6 POS CHIP, STAGE 1'S, 17* HPOP
6637 AIR INTAKE/NO CAT
4R100 STAGE 3- 12" TRIPLE DISC BILLET TORQ, BILLET INPUT, RED ALTO'S, TUGGER KIT, CUSTOM VALVE BODY, DERALE TURBO PAN.
5" SUSPENSION LIFT, STAINLESS NERF-BARS
16X10 PRO COMP 35X12.50 TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T II
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

The alternator is not designed to charge dead batteries. It is designed to maintain the batteries from whatever load is placed on them normally. It sounds like you have one or more batteries that is bad which put too much strain on the alternator and killed it. As stated above, replace both batteries and the alternator and you should be good to go.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 AM
PSN Local

What Speed demon and others state is true....but Alternators have a designed output...and they will make that output constantly till they wear out....So If I was you ...again as was mentioned above , I would get 2 New Batteries , preferably same CCA and blah blah blah....
Then if you need an Alt ...buy one...Thats it ....for 4-5 YEARS Anyway .....
Best wishes either way .....

95 E350 Cargo, E4OD , B/M aluminium Pan / 2 HD Trans coolers , Dana 60FF 3:55 , 140 V idm , Autometer guages , TDEO Dp flashed 60 Tow , EBPV delete , BB shim , cat sleeps with the fishes, Timbren SES, stage 1's coming soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode