How long for morning warmup? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Still a kid to some ppl

How long for morning warmup?

Its getting colder n colder in nj and havnt driven a diesel during winter in years. So how long is a proper warm up take? I dont have the oppertunity to plug truck in right now. My shift at work is 6pm to 4am. I usually wait 3songs on radio then i start driving but i stay under 45mph for 4miles then its 75mph for 56miles. When i get home i basically idle down my mile long street and countdown 30seconds b4 i shut it off. Actually i count down 30secondsmy before i shut it off anywhere.

1997 eclb xlt. 2.5 "toughcountry, 5100 shocks, 35s
Tymar intake, 5" straight pipe, ww2
Baby swamps, custom ts6,
Rebuilt trans w/valve body
Ats tq conv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 11:48 AM
PSN Local

Re: How long for morning warmup?

A lot of people have different opinions on this. I live in Michigan, and it's getting cold here too. Personally, I give mine 20 minutes or so in colder weather. Whether it's plugged in or not. I kind of look at it like the engine may have been plugged in and warm, but the rest of the truck isn't. But I also warm up our gas powered vehicles too. Two things let me know when it's time to hit the highway speed. First is the back pressure valve. Mine will cycle a few times even if the truck has warmed some. But it will stop after a few blocks. Second is the sound of the engine. Mine is as loud as a jack hammer for a few minutes, but usually quiets down shortly too. I guess it's whatever you're comfortable with. Warming it up and cooling it down certainly can't hurt.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 01:36 PM
PSN Veteran

I let mine idle for about 5 minutes at these temps and once its below freezing about 10 minutes. When it is ultra cold I let it go a bit longer. Either way I ease her down the road until the temp gauge is at normal operating temp.

I have the 7.3 'cold knock' but hope to correct that before it get too cold this year with the cross over line. Well maybe at leat help it a little.

2002 CCLB 4X4 6" skyjacker lift * Ford AIC * 4" turbo back Diamond Eye exhaust * 6637 mod w/ Donaldson filter * Gauges* No Foil * Edge Insight CTS
1988 Camaro Iroc Z
2000 Polaris Scrambler 4x2 400- Bored out and tuned by DAB Racing
~Andy~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 01:44 PM
PSN Local

I use a dfuser idle controller...'bout 5 mins at 1200 rpm in the interior of BC...cost was around $80...its nice to have the heater warm the cab on winter mornings...hth

'95 F250 SC 7.3 auto 4x4 long box...Rosewood stage 1's tymar intake 3"DP...Dfuser AIC... 263,000 and runnin' strong!!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 02:46 PM
PSN Local

hey mojoman, how does the dfuser work for you? i read that sometimes after idling, you have to shut the truck off and restart so the computer will unlock the pedal.
i've been wanting on, but haven't gotten any input from someone who has one yet.

2002 f350 srw automatic 3:73 gears,
a/c that works!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Still a kid to some ppl

Its stock for now but i have ts chip with high idle sitting in garage. Waiting foy my tymar intake n 5"turbo back its in the mail. Id imaging that would help....ive been told abiut some kinda additive for the fuel? True or no?

Baby swamps, custom ts6,
Ats tq conv
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 07:24 PM
PSN Veteran

I have a Ford auxiliary idle control (AIC) that wasn't much more than that $80 and works fantastically when u don't want to let the automatic high idle kick in.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

2002 CCLB 4X4 6" skyjacker lift * Ford AIC * 4" turbo back Diamond Eye exhaust * 6637 mod w/ Donaldson filter * Gauges* No Foil * Edge Insight CTS
1988 Camaro Iroc Z
~Andy~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Still a kid to some ppl

I dont have auto high idle. 97obs.

Baby swamps, custom ts6,
Ats tq conv
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 08:00 PM
PSN Veteran

There is no stock high idle on our trucks. You need to install a AIC or do a DIY one or get one burnt into a chip if you want a higher idle.

Personally I'll let my truck warm up while the glow plugs are on and then I'll start to go. If it is real cold I'll take it easy to give the oils time to get circulating for at least a couple of miles until I hit the freeway and then it is up to speed.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 12:40 AM
PSN Veteran

OBS 7.3 and SD 7.3 always confuse me, my mistake. I always think they are the same with different body's, I forget they had some different features too.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

1988 Camaro Iroc Z
~Andy~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode