glow plug relay question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

glow plug relay question

1997 f350 i put a new gpr on today napa gpr 109 when key is off it has power to one of the large lugs only. When i turn the key on one large lug and both small lugs have power. any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 12:07 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: glow plug relay question

The relay gets its ground from the PCM so if you have power to both of the small lugs the PCM isn't sending the ground signal. This can be caused by a few problems. A broken wire from the PCM, sensor proplem, or a bad PCM.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 AM
PSN Veteran

X2

2002 CCLB 4X4 6" skyjacker lift * Ford AIC * 4" turbo back Diamond Eye exhaust * 6637 mod w/ Donaldson filter * Gauges* No Foil * Edge Insight CTS
1988 Camaro Iroc Z
2000 Polaris Scrambler 4x2 400- Bored out and tuned by DAB Racing
~Andy~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 01:32 AM
PSN Veteran

Does the WTS light come on?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 01:38 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Does the WTS light come on?
Should ask how long it lights up. Mine comes on but only for a few seconds. My PCM needs replaced, it does not send (ground out) signal to my relay. I have it bypassed to a button in the dash. However my light always lit, just not long.

2002 CCLB 4X4 6" skyjacker lift * Ford AIC * 4" turbo back Diamond Eye exhaust * 6637 mod w/ Donaldson filter * Gauges* No Foil * Edge Insight CTS
1988 Camaro Iroc Z
~Andy~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 01:40 AM
PSN Veteran

The WTS light and the glow plugs are on two separate programs in the PCM, but both run times are driven by the EOT sensor. Before condemning the PCM, that would be the first place to look.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 01:45 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
The WTS light and the glow plugs are on two separate programs in the PCM, but both run times are driven by the EOT sensor. Before condemning the PCM, that would be the first place to look.
Motherfu$&er!!

I have been.... Ok calm down. When I had everything connected factory, it was narrowed down to either a broken wire or PCM. I never found a broken wire.

At no time was the EOT ever, ever mentioned. The testing was done at the relay.

1988 Camaro Iroc Z
~Andy~

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 01:55 AM
PSN Veteran

If it was, in my case the EOT wouldn't I have other issues as well? I don't seem to have other issues associated with that sensor.

1988 Camaro Iroc Z
~Andy~

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 03:12 AM
PSN Veteran

Without checking wiring diagrams and reading a couple of books I believe that is all the EOT sensor does is notify the PCM of the need for the plugs.

If all else fails the simple solution to it is to pick up a push button switch and wire a ground to it and then to the ground side of the relay. When it is cold push the switch in for around 30 seconds and then start the truck.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 03:14 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
Without checking wiring diagrams and reading a couple of books I believe that is all the EOT sensor does is notify the PCM of the need for the plugs.

If all else fails the simple solution to it is to pick up a push button switch and wire a ground to it and then to the ground side of the relay. When it is cold push the switch in for around 30 seconds and then start the truck.
This is what I did.

1988 Camaro Iroc Z
~Andy~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode