Opinions on OBS purchase - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Opinions on OBS purchase

First off, I have posted this in 3 Powerstroke / ford forums, so if you have read before I apologize. I am just trying to gather opinions.

1996 ford f-250 xlt crew cab powerstroke turbo diesel
4x4 w/ auto e40d trans (trans never worked on according to owner)
Has Dana 60 rear w/ posi
Dana 60 king pin front axle out of a 1990 f-350. Owner swap after freshened up from junkyard (fron driver wheel catastrophically failed and this repair was quicker for him)
Edge tuner and 5" turbo back into 5" dual stacks flat cut ( matte black) has hinged rain caps
Trailer brake controller and tow package as well as goose neck ball in bed. Has 4" lift and 35" BFG mud terrains. The front axle does have manual locking hubs as well. PW, PDL, keyless entry, rear slider, CD player, air lumbar support, all weather flooring, foot steps.
recently admitted that he replaced mil-spec dual core glow plugs and diesel performance relay, PCM, TCM ICP and some other stuff I cannot remember.
Leather high quality seat covers on rear seat both front seats and folding consol. Can barely tell they are covers...
365,000 miles on engine. 4 owners, this owner has had it 70,000 miles. Previous owner owned machine shop and supposedly "shaved .016" off heads.

So that is all the info, I have always had 99-02 powerstrokes and know their problems well. This truck seems solid and the owner straight up. Do you guys see anything that throws a red flag in your book? He is asking 11K. I need a crew cab and I can get this one without getting a loan. Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Opinions on OBS purchase

I'm assuming its a short bed since it was a 250? the mil spec glowplugs and diesel performance relay throw up a red flag to me that he's filling you full of bull####. A relay is a relay. Its just a switch.

Early 99, regular cab, Six Speed, Wildman Tuned, Red wastegate line MIA, muffler MIA, Isspro EGT/Boost, DIY Tymar, EBPV Switch, a slipping South Bend, 2.5" leveling kit, 35x12.5 BFG All-Terrains, 16.5" American Racing wheels SOLD
04, red regular cab, six speed, Edge SOLD
97, silver regular cab 300/200 s300
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:53 PM
MOTO MANIAC

$11k throws a red flag to me. A OBS with 365000 miles with an unknown trans is crazy
that truck better look like it rolled off the show room floor for 11k. Where is it located. If its not is the south/ south west it most likely has rust also. Do you have any pictures.

The Black Sheep.
E99 F350 CCLB
5r110 trans cooler and filter.
4''mbrp, Isspro boost, trans, EGT,
S&B CAI. NO Limit tunes

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:06 PM
PSN Local

i agree with moto7.3.....11k is alot of good truck...seen some really nice trucks sell for that or less. you might have to drive a few hours to get the deal you want like i did, but it was worth 6 hours drive to get what i wanted.

2002 f350 srw automatic 3:73 gears,
a/c that works!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 03:17 PM
PSN Veteran

Any rust on it? You don't say where it is. But 11K is high. If it had a performance built trans that would maybe help justify it. If that trans is original, used to tow a lot and has performace chip, the timer is probably about up for it. I think mid 8K would be better. Then when the trans lets go you can put that extra 3K into a reliable built one.

The Dana 60 rear throws a little flag for me. Those aren't as rugged as the 10.25 are they? But it is a bonus to have the dana 60 front.

96 F250 CCSB 4x4, D60, 3.55, Auto, 6.0 trans cooler 3"-4" down pipe & exhaust, not enough power
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 03:27 PM
PSN Veteran

the head being milled throws a red flag for me.... 11k is twice to much...

Back the Blue BUILD THREAD
POWERSTROKENATION-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

As stated above 11k is too much unless it is in show room condition which I doubt. The performance relay is a lie. Why did he put a Dana 60 rear in the back end? Trans is on its last leg if it has never been rebuilt which I highly doubt it hasn't if it has been used to haul much(based on the goose neck hitch). Why did he shave the heads? What happened that it needed to be done? Sounds like the guy is trying to dump his problems on someone else.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 PM
PSN Local

I just spent $1500 on a 97 CCLB dually, slush box is prob toast no forward gears.
I wouldn't spend nearly that much on one that doesn't drive.
Mine may not look like it's off the show room floor, but I took it off the guys hands for sure only needing a tranny and glow plugs.
I'm doing a ZF5 swap
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 PM
OBS Stroker

Are you sure it's a d60 in the rear?
Most people don't know what they're talking about when they claim this.
It should be a sterling 10.25".
11k is too much.
I spent 12 on my ccsb with 70k miles on it a few months back and that was a stretch.

1997 F250 ECSB, 140Kmiles, 3.55's, 5 spd, Sht throw, S.B. dd clutch, Rosewood 238/100, Adrenaline, S468, irate mount, ARP studs, 910 springs, smith bros. p/r, 4" MBRP, AFE Stg 2, BDP tunes, Termi Scan gauge, Swamps IDM, intercooled, BDP fuel

1997 F250, CCSB, swamps idm, 3" dp, 3.5" cat delete, 38gal rear tank.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 AM
PSN Veteran

Go to Autotrader.com and see what you can get for 11K....

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode