Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Looking at buying 96 cclbE4OD/ OD light blinking though

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  vick97psd 
#1 ·
Like it says......whats up with the blinking light, can it be a series of things, major, minor? The guy thats selling it says it doesnt blink all the time but when it blinks the truck shifts really hard. Sorry guys, i tried the search feature but im using a smart phone and it wont let me.

#2 ·
There should be a code stored. If its torque converter/clutch slip code, it is probaply ready for rebuild. The o.d. light flashing usually never ends on a good note.

#4 ·
The OD light blinks to indicate there is a transmission code. The reason it shifts hard when the light is on is because the transmission goes into limp mode which gives it full line pressure. It could be any number of issues within the transmission. You need to scan it with a high end scanner in order to find out what the code is.

#5 ·
What he ^^ said!!! I bought one with it now realizing until I was on the way home.... Now it needs a rebuild!!!!

#9 ·
Update: So after I talked to the guy about the truck some more, he said he has been driving the truck around for about a year like that. He said it doesnt do it very often. I know what you guys are gonna say "put a scanner on it".......I plan on doing it, just havent gotten around to it yet. Ive been pondering the blinking light tho and it makes me wonder if it isnt an electrical issue if hes been running around in it for that long and the tranny hasnt gone out. Either way i'll definatly use the blinking light as leverage when we start wheeling and dealing!

#10 ·
It could be setting a code for several different reasons. If the seller is actually being honest and it has done it for a year then it is possible that it is an electrical issue or something else simple but I wouldn't bet on it.

#11 ·
i drove my f150 around when i first got it with the blinking light for over a year, 1 day on the way to school, the gas pedal would only make the engine rev and i couldn't move the truck. TC burned up. so dont let him tell you it couldn't be the transmission about to die.

#12 ·
my truck started doing that and shortly after the torque converter tore itself apart. I brought it to a trans shop to rebuild the E4OD and replace the tc. It was in and out of a trans shop 4 times and the transmission was never the same and kept failing so I finally put a ZF5 in her. best decision i ever made...
So I would be careful and be prepared to replace the trans

#13 ·
Well I bought the truck, I took advantage of the blinking light and got the truck for a pretty good deal. Im thinking it may be due for a set of injector O-rings and there is something funky going on with the glow plugs or gpr. On a side note, I hooked up my AE to the truck to pull the codes for the tranny, the O/D light was blinking but im not getting any codes, I clicked the ''clear'' tab and it made the light quit blinking. The light hasn't came back on since I cleared the code. Whats the deal with no codes though? I thought AE was the ####, why wont it pick the code up? Is there a trick to AE that I don't know?

#14 ·
Two simple things to look at for blinking OD are the VSS and the PSOM in the cluster. Either of those two can cause the speedo gauge to go haywire. As far as AE goes unless you have the Ford advanced bundle it probably won't read the trans codes.

#15 ·
Ya I have the ford advanced bundle, still nothing tho. I gotta say, im a little disappointed in AE. I've done some reading about the vss, I haven't noticed the speedo boucing, even a little. I have noticed that the tack bounces a little tho......it will flutter back and forth about 75-100 rpm, and no its not the tranny slipping, the motor stays at the same speed, plus I read that if the tranny slips over 50 rpm it trips the blinking light. Is there a chance that the bouncing tack could be causing this?

#18 ·
Blinking o/d light doesn't always mean there is or was a code tripped he could have been hauling or towing something and the granny could have slipped a little or the fluid could have been a little low or line pressure could have dropped or he could have just got on it empty and it missed dropping down. Not always a problem it will start blinking just to let you know to check the trans for a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.