Think fuel pump is bad, need some advice. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Think fuel pump is bad, need some advice.

Ok, im almost 100% positive my fuel pump in the tank is bad but i figured id ask to see if anyone else had some other opinions.

I was pulling out of a parking lot today when it felt like i dropped two cylinders, power started dying and then it finally died. I tried cranking it for a few but nothing. I looked down and noticed my fuel gauge was spiked on full (but i only had a 1/4 tank at most). So thinking maybe i ran out of fuel i went and put about 8 gall in it, i have a pressure regulator on top the motor so i cracked the fittings to bleed the air and then tried starting it. It ran for a couple min before doing the same thing again. Did this several times thinking maybe i just had air in it. Finally after no luck i dropped the fuel filters (they were dry) so i topped them off and started cranking again and it would fire...then stall. Dropped the filters and they were about half full.

So im convinced its the fuel pump, but just wanted to see if theres anything else stupid or easy i can check or try (because my truck is stuck at work 40 miles from me) so its kinda inconvienient. Also i do have the fuel bowl delete mod if that would cause any thing. The secondary pump i mounted on the frame rail is transfering fuel from the 1st filter to the 2nd filter, so in my mind its gotta be the pump in the tank not sending fuel to the filter.

1995 F250, 7.3 stroker. 2 in. lift, 35 in bf tires, Fuel bowl delete mod with a adjustable fuel pressure regulator on top of the engine. 3" MBPR downpipe to 4 1/2" stacks, Evolution CTS Programmer, CAI, brand new injectors (they are oem though), front mount trans cooler, pilar pod mech gauges (pyro, boost, and trans temp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 07:03 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Think fuel pump is bad, need some advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Dieringer View Post
Ok, im almost 100% positive my fuel pump in the tank is bad but i figured id ask to see if anyone else had some other opinions.

I was pulling out of a parking lot today when it felt like i dropped two cylinders, power started dying and then it finally died. I tried cranking it for a few but nothing. I looked down and noticed my fuel gauge was spiked on full (but i only had a 1/4 tank at most). So thinking maybe i ran out of fuel i went and put about 8 gall in it, i have a pressure regulator on top the motor so i cracked the fittings to bleed the air and then tried starting it. It ran for a couple min before doing the same thing again. Did this several times thinking maybe i just had air in it. Finally after no luck i dropped the fuel filters (they were dry) so i topped them off and started cranking again and it would fire...then stall. Dropped the filters and they were about half full.

So im convinced its the fuel pump, but just wanted to see if theres anything else stupid or easy i can check or try (because my truck is stuck at work 40 miles from me) so its kinda inconvienient. Also i do have the fuel bowl delete mod if that would cause any thing. The secondary pump i mounted on the frame rail is transfering fuel from the 1st filter to the 2nd filter, so in my mind its gotta be the pump in the tank not sending fuel to the filter.
Our trucks DO NOT have in-tank fuel pumps. What kind of pump did you use for your fuel system?

Rusty

1997 F250 CC/SB 7.3 PSD 4X4 XLT, 248,000 miles
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Im not sure, id have to find out. My buddy bought the parts so id have to give him a call. But i was under the impression there was a lift pump in the tank and then the fuel bowl (which was deleted with the mod) never really messed with obs fords fuel systems. But from past experience i always found that the fuel gauge and fuel pump are on the same ground so if the fuel pump fails a key indication is a broke fuel gauge. Or if your fuel gauge breaks then your about to have problems with the pump very soon.

So, my pump is sending fuel from the 1st filter to the second and i got fuel pressure at the motor, something has got to be wrong from the tank to the filter.

1995 F250, 7.3 stroker. 2 in. lift, 35 in bf tires, Fuel bowl delete mod with a adjustable fuel pressure regulator on top of the engine. 3" MBPR downpipe to 4 1/2" stacks, Evolution CTS Programmer, CAI, brand new injectors (they are oem though), front mount trans cooler, pilar pod mech gauges (pyro, boost, and trans temp)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

and ive always assumed it was a kit from Irate only because my pressure regulator just hangs by the fuel lines, doesnt mount to anything and ive heard people complain about that before. But like i said, not a 100% positive.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 07:46 AM
PSN Veteran

Have you tried switching tanks? Does this happen with both tanks?

Rusty

1997 F250 CC/SB 7.3 PSD 4X4 XLT, 248,000 miles
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Sounds more like the selector valve crapped out or the electric pump you have is faulty.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

just an update, it was indeed the tank selector switch. Took a crap and for some reason thought it was on the rear tank when i needed the front tank. Something stupid and simple but had me confused as hell lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode