Shakey truck - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Shakey truck

In the last month I've had one problem after another out of my truck. Was having troubles keeping it running and took it to the dealership. They ended up replacing the icp sensor, cps, glow plugs, valve cover gaskets, and turbo o-rings. The day after I got it back from them, the hpop seal sprung a leak, I replaced it along with all the o-rings on the hpop. Went to start the truck after that and fuel pump died. This frustrated me but also finally gave me an excuse for going to e-fuel. Finally got that finished and running Friday. Today my battery light started coming on and turned out my alternator is getting weak. Going to a junkyard to find one of those this weekend. During all this though there has been a problem I haven't really figured out because I haven't had time to diagnose it thanks of all the other things. When the truck is cold (even in 60-70* weather) if it hasn't been started in say 4 hours or more it runs a little rough and shakes pretty bad. It starts first crank every time and doesn't smoke more than a tiny puff. When you take off in it, it feels a little weak, and especially when you get above 20 mph you start to feel the shaking and it gets worst around 50 mph and is rough as hell. It does this every morning the first 5-6 miles I drive. After it gets warm though you would never know there was a thing wrong with it. Weak injectors maybe? It has 175k on it, but when I bought it the po said injectors were "newer" out of a low mileage engine.

-Tyler-
-97 F-250 rclb, 305/70-16 cooper stt, 6637, PHP Hydra, AB's, e-fuel, sonnax, ebv delete, ccv mod, 3" dp to 6" tip--Sold
-08 Ram 3500 rclb, 6" Fabtech, 325/60-17 Nittos, egr/dpf delete, Efi by Draconian, s&b, 6" mitre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: Shakey truck

Well first off it would depend what code injectors were installed. With 175k on the injectors they should have still been fine. If the PO installed split shot injectors out of a newer 99^ truck that could be your problem. He also could have damaged an o-ring on install which could be the problem. May not have properly torqued the hold down bolts to spec and an injector is not seated correctly. You could have a sticky IPR as well or the o-rings are bad on it. Put it on a high end scanner and watch live data to see what the numbers are for ICP and IPR when it is acting up. As for the alternator, pull the plug on top of it and squeeze the female terminals with a small screwdriver and reinstall the plug. If that plug is loose it will cause the exact symptoms of a bad alternator.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I did the thing with the alternator, also sprayed some electrical cleaner on em while they were unplugged, it didnt work. Oh well, I'll find a cheap used one. I also scanned it with my cousins scanner today. Only code i got was for the ebp sensor. Its a pretty good scanner but not one of the ones the dealerships have. Ill have to wait till I can drive my dads truck sometime next week, that way I can leave mine at the dealership overnight and let them drive it and check it out. Also, if i had split shots wouldnt my truck smoke more, because at wot passing somebody its no more than a haze.

-Tyler-
-97 F-250 rclb, 305/70-16 cooper stt, 6637, PHP Hydra, AB's, e-fuel, sonnax, ebv delete, ccv mod, 3" dp to 6" tip--Sold
-08 Ram 3500 rclb, 6" Fabtech, 325/60-17 Nittos, egr/dpf delete, Efi by Draconian, s&b, 6" mitre

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

split shots won't run right with single shot tuning period. I would find someone around you who has access to a high end scanner that can do live data. I do not recommend taking it to a dealership. They know just enough to take all your money and send you packing with the same problems you came in with.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Yea ive learned in the past about the dealership, anytime it goes there it will only be to find problems, not fix them. Ill ask around and see if i cant find a shop with the right equipment. Most people around here say they dont work on diesels and refer me to some shadetree mechanic. Usually if i wanna do anything other than an alignment or tires I gotta do it or get raped by the dealership.

-Tyler-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode