ABS light - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
STILL LEARNING

ABS light

I have the ABS light on in my truck, but my Snap-on scanner doesnt read ABS codes in this truck, ANy way to tell what is is on for?

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 03:51 AM
Certified Engine Destroye

Re: ABS light

Make sure you havnt bumped your e-brake down a click. I think on those the pump can set it off too.

Studs, SCT, Nitrous Express, ODP RR, Custom Fuel waiting for install.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 04:43 AM
PSN Veteran

You have to ground a wire on the RABS module to read the flashes to get the code. Here's the procedure:

Quote:
Inspection and Verification

System Pre-Check

Note:
It is important that this procedure be performed first. Failure to do so may result in incorrect diagnosis of problem, wasted time, and improper replacement of components.

The System Pre-Check is used to screen a vehicle for relatively simple diagnostic repairs, such as loose connectors, blown fuses, etc. However, the System Pre-Check is also used to prepare the vehicle for further diagnostics. In addition, warning light concerns are dealt with in this check.

Note:
The anti-lock electronic control module (2C018) is commonly referred to as a RABS I module or on later models, the RABS II module. This repair procedure is written for REAR ABS II (RABS II) systems (as opposed to REAR ABS I (RABS I) systems). The RABS II system is standard for F-150, F-250, F-350 single and dual rear wheel vehicles. In the event that you are not sure if you have a RABS I or a RABS II system in your vehicle, check the anti-lock electronic control module part number. Anti-lock electronic control module part numbers will begin with either: F3TF-2C018- or F3UF-2C018-. All other part numbers should be considered to be a RABS I anti-lock electronic control module. If you have a RABS I anti-lock electronic control module, you must refer to the repair manual for that model year vehicle.

The RABS II uses both the red BRAKE and yellow REAR ABS instrument panel warning lights to alert the driver to a system malfunction. Both lights must be working properly to assist in concern diagnosis. The steps listed below must be followed prior to beginning the RABS II diagnostic procedure.

Vehicle Setup

WARNING:
PLACE BLOCKS BEHIND THE REAR WHEELS (1007) AND IN FRONT OF THE FRONT WHEELS TO PREVENT THE VEHICLE FROM MOVING WHILE THE SYSTEM PRE-CHECK IS BEING DONE.

For 4-wheel drive vehicles, shift into 2-wheel drive. Drive the vehicle to a level area, and place the shift lever in PARK for automatic transmissions (7003) and NEUTRAL for manual transmissions. Turn the ignition off, set the parking brake and turn on the running lamps. Place blocks behind the wheels.

Release the parking brake and continue to the System Pre-Check.

Warning Lamp Indicators

The red BRAKE warning light is constantly monitored by the anti-lock electronic control module. If the red light illuminates, the anti-lock electronic control module will disable the RABS II system and turn on the yellow RABS light. For this reason, diagnosing and resolving any base brake concerns illuminating the red BRAKE warning light will, in most cases, resolve a perceived RABS II concern.

Brake Light Self Check

The red BRAKE warning light is used to indicate a low fluid level condition or parking brake applied condition. To check this light, insert the key in the ignition switch (11572) and turn it to the START position. The light should glow in this position. If it fails to glow, go to the Symptom Chart.

Allow the key to spring back from the START position to the RUN position. At this time the BRAKE warning light should turn off. If it does not turn off, recheck the parking brake to make sure that it is fully disengaged. In the event that the BRAKE warning light remains on, go to the Symptom Chart.

Rear Anti-Lock Warning Light

The yellow REAR ABS warning light is used to indicate a malfunction and a deactivation of the RABS II system. To check this light, first follow the procedure above for Red Brake Warning Light Self-Check, and allow the key to spring back from START position to the RUN position. The yellow REAR ABS warning light should perform a self-check by glowing for approximately two seconds and then turning off. If it turns back on and does not flash, then a system concern has been detected. Refer to On-Board Diagnostics, Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Retrieving. If it fails to glow, go to the Symptom Chart.

On-Board Diagnostics

Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Retrieving

CAUTION:
Care must be taken to connect only the black/orange stripe wire to ground. Connecting the red mating connector wire to ground will result in a blown fuse.

Verify the key is in the RUN position (engine does not need to be running). Next, locate the black RABS II diagnostic connector. The diagnostic connector has two mating halves (one of which has a black/orange wire connected to it). Disconnect the two halves.

Attach one end of a jumper wire to the black with orange stripe wire side of the diagnostic connector. Momentarily ground the other end of the jumper wire by connecting it to a good chassis ground for 1-2 seconds. Grounding this wire should start the yellow REAR ABS warning light flashing. If grounding this wire does not start the yellow REAR ABS warning light flashing, go to the Symptom Chart.

The code consists of a number of short flashes and ends with a long flash. Count the short flashes and include the following long flash in the count to obtain the code number. For example, three short flashes followed by one long flash indicates diagnostic trouble Code 4. The code will continue to repeat itself until the key is turned off. It is recommended that the code be verified by reading it several times. This code will be used later for system repair instructions. It should be written down for future use. Diagnostic trouble code 16 indicates that the anti-lock electronic control module detects normal system operation.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Erasing

The last step of the System Pre-Check always includes clearing the Keep-Alive Memory (KAM). To do this, simply turn off the ignition while the diagnostic connector halves are separated as described in the procedures for obtaining the diagnostic trouble code above, after which the diagnostic connector should be reassembled to provide KAM power to the anti-lock electronic control module. If at this time a valid code has been obtained, go to the appropriate pinpoint test for that code.
Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 04:37 PM
PSN Veteran

patrick, where did you find all this service information? you're always coming up with some obscure stuff... haha!

2000 F250 CCSB-- GT4294R, 250/100s, Dahl/Fuelab, PHP, scan gauge, stock 17* pump

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
1997 F250 CCSB 2wd (sold)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
STILL LEARNING

Do you have the "symptom chart"? I ground the wire but The light is not flashing a code.

Something else to trow in the mix. I am not sure if it would be related or not.
The brake lights glow dimly when the key is on

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 11:58 PM
powersmoker73

Could be the clock ring, just a guess but I'm sure you want to pinpoint the issue

2002 F350 175/80, autometers, ats, valvebody, traction bars
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 06:31 AM
PSN Veteran

The stuff on this is all right out of the factory service manual (for a 96, but should be the same, Section 06-9A).

Here's the Symptom Chart with only parts expanded (basically the parts for Brad's "ABS light on but no codes"):

Quote:
Symptom Chart -- Rear Brake Anti-Lock Control

There are times when a customer concern will not cause the yellow REAR ABS warning light to illuminate or a code to be stored.

The symptom chart is intended to give the technician a starting point in resolving these types of concerns. The chart also describes conditions that will illuminate the yellow RABS light.

Please note that both the red BRAKE warning light diagnosis procedure and test drive are required prior to performing the tests in this section. Failure to perform these procedures will greatly diminish the effectiveness of this method of diagnosis.

Condition(s):
o Red Brake Warning Light Does Not Self-Check

Possible Source(s):
§ Open brake warning light bulb (red).
§ Open power fuse.
§ Open Circuit 640 (R/Y), 977 (P/W), 512 (T/LG), 531 (DG/Y).
§ Open resistor/diode circuit.
§ Unseated fluid level switch connector.
§ Defective ignition switch.

Action(s) to take:
§ GO to «Pinpoint Test A».

o Red Brake Warning Light Stays On When Key Is in RUN Position

Possible Source(s):
§ Ground short on Circuit 977.
§ Ground short on Circuit 162.
§ Damaged parking brake switch.
§ Damaged low vacuum switch.

Action(s) to take:
§ GO to «Pinpoint Test B».

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Off and Does Not Self-Check

Possible Source(s):
§ Open fuse Circuit 640 (R/Y).
§ Missing power to rear ABS warning light (open Circuit 640 [R/Y]).
§ Open Circuit 603 (DG).
§ Burned-out yellow REAR ABS warning light.
§ Terminal backout in the anti-lock electronic control module harness connector at Pin 7.
§ Harness connector not fully mated with anti-lock electronic control module.
§ Defective anti-lock electronic control module.
§ Open anti-lock electronic control module ground (Circuit 570 [BK/W] or Circuit 530 [LG/Y]).

Action(s) to take:
§ GO to «Pinpoint Test C».

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Self-Check OK, but Light Automatically Begins Flashing

Possible Source(s):
§ Intermittent anti-lock electronic control module.
§ Intermittent anti-lock electronic control module ground circuit.
§ Intermittent yellow rear ABS warning light circuit.
§ Blown Keep-Alive Memory fuse.

Action(s) to take:
§ GO to «Pinpoint Test D».

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Self-Check OK, but No Diagnostic Trouble Code When Diagnostics Are Started

Possible Source(s):
§ Burned-out brake taillights.
§ Missing anti-lock electronic control module power (Circuit 601 [LB/PK] and associated fuse).
§ Shorted yellow rear ABS warning light circuit (Circuit 603 [DG]).
§ Incorrect anti-lock electronic control module (RABS I vs. RABS II).

Action(s) to take:
§ GO to «Pinpoint Test E».

PINPOINT TEST E: YELLOW REAR ABS WARNING LIGHT SELF-CHECK OK, BUT NO DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE WHEN DIAGNOSTICS ARE STARTED

Affected Circuit(s)/Electrical Component(s)

Description

The yellow RABS warning light should automatically begin a flash-out sequence if the diagnostic connector is shorted to ground for at least one second. This flashout sequence can be observed by watching the yellow REAR ABS warning light. There are a few conditions that will prevent the flashout from occurring. These must be resolved before continuing the repair process.

Possible Contributing Base Brake Component/Vehicle Wiring Concerns

Burned-out brake taillights

Missing anti-lock electronic control module power (Circuit 601 [LB/PK] and associated fuse)

Shorted yellow rear ABS warning light circuit (Circuit 603 [DG])

Incorrect anti-lock electronic control module (RABS I vs. RABS II)

CAUTION: RABS I vehicles which have been upgraded with RABS II anti-lock electronic control module will NOT have Keep-Alive Memory and therefore will not be able to store codes when the vehicle is turned off.

Note: A RABS I system which has previously been serviced may have its anti-lock electronic control module upgraded to a RABS II. In the event that you are uncertain whether you have a RABS I or RABS II anti-lock electronic control module, check the anti-lock electronic control module part number to be certain of the type of system you have.

Part number F3TF-2C018- RABS II anti-lock electronic control module

Part number F3UF-2C018- RABS II anti-lock electronic control module

All other part numbers are RABS I anti-lock electronic control module

² E1: DETERMINE IF SYSTEM IS RABS I OR RABS II
² E2: CHECK FOR BURNED-OUT REAR BRAKE LIGHTS
² E3: CHECK FOR LOSS OF BRAKE INPUT TO ANTI-LOCK ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE
² E4: CHECK POWER TO THE ANTI-LOCK ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE
² E5: CHECK FOR SHORTS IN ANTI-LOCK ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE HARNESS CONNECTOR
² E6: CHECK CIRCUIT 571 (BK/O) CONTINUITY

E1 DETERMINE IF SYSTEM IS RABS I OR RABS II

Determine if the ABS system is a RABS I or a RABS II system.
Is anti-lock electronic control module RABS II?

Yes: GO to «E2».

No: Anti-lock electronic control module is a RABS I. REFER to appropriate year service manual (1987-1992). This manual does not cover RABS I anti-lock brake system.

E2 CHECK FOR BURNED-OUT REAR BRAKE LIGHTS

Press on brake pedal while observing rear brake lights.

Do the brake lights function properly?

Yes: GO to «E3».

No: REPAIR brake light system: Burned-out bulbs or open Circuit 511 (LG). REPEAT System Pre-Check.

E3 CHECK FOR LOSS OF BRAKE INPUT TO ANTI-LOCK ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE

Remove the harness connector from the anti-lock electronic control module. Check for terminal backout.

Set multimeter to 20 VDC range.

Press on brake pedal hard enough to turn on rear brake lights.

Measure voltage from harness connector Pin 11 to chassis ground while brake pedal is pressed.

Is voltage greater than 9 volts?

Yes: LEAVE anti-lock electronic control module disconnected. GO to «E4».

No: REPAIR open in Circuit 511 (LG). RECONNECT anti-lock electronic control module. REPEAT System Pre-Check.

E4 CHECK POWER TO THE ANTI-LOCK ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE

Key to run.

Measure the voltage between RABS harness connector Pin 1 (or Pin 9) and chassis ground.

Is voltage greater than 9 volts?

Yes: LEAVE anti-lock electronic control module disconnected. GO to «E5».

No: REPAIR Circuit 601 (LB/PK) or associated fuse. RECONNECT anti-lock electronic control module. REPEAT System Pre-Check.

E5 CHECK FOR SHORTS IN ANTI-LOCK ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE HARNESS CONNECTOR

With same setup as in Step E4, observe REAR ABS warning light.

Is the REAR ABS warning light on?

Yes: CHECK for short to ground in Circuit 603 (DG). RECONNECT the anti-lock electronic control module. REPEAT System Pre-Check.

No: LEAVE anti-lock electronic control module disconnected. GO to «E6».

E6 CHECK CIRCUIT 571 (BK/O) CONTINUITY

Set the multimeter to the 200 ohm scale.

Disconnect the RABS diagnostic connector from its mating half (Circuits 571 [BK/O] and 483 [R]).

Measure resistance of Circuit 571 (BK/O) from diagnostic connector to anti-lock electronic control module harness connector Pin 12.

Is the resistance less than 20 ohms?

Yes: REPLACE anti-lock electronic control module.

No: REPAIR Circuit 571 (BK/O). RECONNECT anti-lock electronic control module. REPEAT System Pre-Check.

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Flashes Two Times When Retrieving Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Code 2)

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Flashes Three Times When Retrieving Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Code 3)

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Flashes Four Times When Retrieving Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Code 4)

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Flashes Five Times When Retrieving Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Code 5)

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Flashes Six Times When Retrieving Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Code 6)

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Flashes Seven Times When Retrieving Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Code 7)

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Flashes Eight Times When Retrieving Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Code 8)

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Flashes Nine Times When Retrieving Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Code 9)

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Flashes 10 Times When Retrieving Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Code 10)

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Flashes 11 Times When Retrieving Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Code 11)

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Flashes 12 Times When Retrieving Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Code 12)

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Flashes 13 Times When Retrieving Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Code 13)

o Yellow Rear ABS Warning Light Flashes 16 Times When Retrieving Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Code 16)

o Intermittent Problem Suspected

o Rear ABS and Speedometer Are Not Functioning Correctly

o Unwarranted RABS Activity

o One or Both Rear Wheels Lock Up

o Hard or Soft Brake Pedal

o Lack of Deceleration During Medium/Hard Brake Applications
Kind of long, but hopefully helpful. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
STILL LEARNING

Thanks Patrick. I think I know where to go. I took out my SRW RABS module and put in one for a DRW. It may not be any good or it may not be of the right variety, I will try putting the SRW one back in tomorrow

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Brad for what it is worth, I am still running the SRW RABS module in my truck after converting over to DRW with no issues what so ever.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
STILL LEARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon31176 View Post
Brad for what it is worth, I am still running the SRW RABS module in my truck after converting over to DRW with no issues what so ever.
Do you know what it even does?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/17-1994-1997-power-stroke-technical-info/142608-abs-light.html
Posted By For Type Date
Cruise/ABS/Brake issue - PowerStrokeArmy This thread Refback 09-06-2016 02:54 AM