Valve Cover Differences - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Valve Cover Differences

I read an old TSB that stated the 96's got upgraded valve covers with a new insulation. Do any of you know if there is much of difference or if they actually make a difference on sound. I love how my truck sounds until I have been riding in it on a road trip and can no longer hear my self think.

Thanks,

95' F-350 PSD, CC, 4x4, LB, srw, auto w/4:10s, Stage 1 injectors (DIY), E Fuel, 17* HPOP (mod by Joey at TE), EBPV gone, Down Pipe, Stainless Monster Exhaust, AFE intake, Techni-Cooler, 120V IDM, Sky 3" RSK, 2" add-a-leaf on rear, Bilsteins, Onboard Air, Bags Front & Rear, Weld Cheyenne 8's, BFG Mud35/12.50 on 18's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Valve Cover Differences

I just pulled the drivers side cover and noticed that it is no more than a piece of pressed sheet metal. I have had them off before but guess I never really looked at the valve covers that close. Supposedly the newer valve covers are dual layer and have insulation. Anyone know for sure?

95' F-350 PSD, CC, 4x4, LB, srw, auto w/4:10s, Stage 1 injectors (DIY), E Fuel, 17* HPOP (mod by Joey at TE), EBPV gone, Down Pipe, Stainless Monster Exhaust, AFE intake, Techni-Cooler, 120V IDM, Sky 3" RSK, 2" add-a-leaf on rear, Bilsteins, Onboard Air, Bags Front & Rear, Weld Cheyenne 8's, BFG Mud35/12.50 on 18's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 03:09 AM
PSN Veteran

I've read where others have sprayed bed liner on the outside with some amount of quieting success. But have not read about different types of valve covers.

Hopefully someone else will chime in...

1996 F250 CCSB, 4x4, auto PSD, stainless window vents.

Signature file limitations keep me from sharing more information. Follow this link to find my threads: D60 RSK install, Air vent cleaning, etc.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 03:47 AM
STILL LEARNING

I have a set off of a 99 and it is double layer

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 04:18 AM
PSN Veteran

'94-'95 7.3L valve covers are the same. '96-2003 7.3L valve covers are the same. So if Brad says his '99's are double layered, then the '96's would be also. Stephen

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the help and info. I think i am going to change them out. I hope it helps some with the noise. Don't get me wrong. I love the sound of my truck until I've been on the road for several hours.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 05:04 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_brad View Post
I have a set off of a 99 and it is double layer
By double layer what do you mean? Any pics or they on a truck?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

From what I understand its a second layer on the underside of the valve cover with a layer of some type of insulation sandwiched inside. I think they look the same on the outside.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 05:43 AM
PSN Veteran

Here's a list of other changes Ford made to the 7.3 in '96:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...les/961113.pdf

Hey, maybe the laminated covers AND a couple coats of bedliner spray would be the way to go?

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I am going to give a set of them a try. I hope they do make a difference. Probably will be one of the cheaper mods that I have done to my truck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode