Water in fuel light on - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
4x4
PSN Local

Water in fuel light on

The dash light has been flickering on. Sometimes stays on, sometimes stays off. I did a search here and learned how to drain the water by sliding the "yellow" handle below the fuel filter bowl to one side. I did that and heard gurgling as obviously fuel or water was draining out somewhere.

Drove the truck and for the first 5 or 10 minutes no "water in fuel" indicator then it began flickering on again.
Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

1996 F350, CC, LB, 4x4, 4" lift, 35" MT's, 4.10, 3" DP, Tymar in.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: Water in fuel light on

Sounds like you have gotten water in your fuel. Try draining it again and changing the fuel filter. You may have to do it a few times to get the water out.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 07:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Drain the fuel bowl inro a glass jar when you do it (the end of the tube is on the front passenger side of the motor). Let it sit and you should see the water and fuel separate out. As mentioned it can take a number of drainings to get rid of it. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
4x4
PSN Local

Thanks for the feedback. I drained more out. Bad news is that I also drained a half tank of fuel on my way to work. Good news is that the light is now off.

I cannot tell where the fuel is draining to. I can only hear it. The yellow lever on my truck moves from 3 oclock to 9 oclock. In both extremes I can hear it draining so I put the lever to what I thought was the middle but apparently it was still draining. I read here somewhere that the 7 oclock position is "open". So I moved my lever to what looks like 6 oclock and I think the leak has stopped. I fueled up and drove to work and have not had a chance to look at it again but I will check out that passenger's side for the drain.
Again, thanks.

Steve

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
4x4
PSN Local

Ok. So its obvious where the fuel drains when the engine is running. Turns out the yellow lever needs to be in the 7 oclock to be OFF.

Steve

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 03:15 AM
PSN Veteran

It'd be a good thing too, if you removed the bowl completely and cleaned out any sediment. Could be algae or the fuel tank liner that's sitting in the bottom of the bowl. The extended flush (while driving to work) may have gotten most of it out, perhaps not all of it though.

On my 95, mostly likely all OBS' too, at the bottom of the drain lever you'll have a 5/16's rubber hose that connects to a steel line. The steel line comes down the front passenger side of the motor. At the end of this steel line, you can add another rubber hose so when you drain the bowl you can catch the fuel to check for contaminants... and, so it doesn't just drain onto the shop floor, driveway, etc, etc.

'95 F250 Extended Cab E40D 2WD

IDM MOD - HPX -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode