PS Turbo Questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Doesn't Have Spark Plugs

PS Turbo Questions

I have a 97 7.3 Powerstroke in an F350 and have a few questions. Is this the factory turbo? If so, what is the stock boost it puts out? Is that adjustable? My other question is that do you feel the boost come on in these trucks because I don't? I feel it in my GN big time and in my buddies Duramax. Is anyone familiar with BD Performance vaccum brakes? I have one on the truck but doesn't seem to do anything when I flip the switch, except turn off the cruise control if it is on. Lastly, when I tow with the crusie on in OD, the trans kicks down a lot on very small inclines, is that normal? A lot of question from a Newb, just trying to understand. Thanks for your information and guidance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 11:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: PS Turbo Questions

Yes stock turbo and no there is no way to adjust it. Boost for a stock obs with AA injectors and no chip is 15-17lbs and no you wont really feel much.

If your kicking out of OD while towing keep it out of od, leaving it in OD will cause damage to the trans.

BTW your 97 is not a 99-current superduty so click thread tools, move thread and click obs tech section.

02 f250
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Doesn't Have Spark Plugs

Post moved. Didn't see that, thanks. I am such a newb. Last time I went to the track, I didn't use cruise and it didn't kick down near as much. What are the options to get better MPG and performance? I don't want a race truck, just a good tow vehicle. Truck seems like it can pull a house as the trailer does not affect acceleration at all. The entire exhaust seems to be factory too. Any gains there?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:07 AM
PSN Veteran

If it were my truck I would ditch that exhaust brake, I would that do a 3" dp then 4" straight pipe after that.

For performance you can go whereever your budget allows, I would first do the exhaust and do a set of gauges for boost, pyro(exhaust temp) and a trans temp gauge if you have an auto.

After that you could do a chip, intercooler then add in injectors, e-fuel and a better turbo and be around 400hp.

02 f250
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Doesn't Have Spark Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
If it were my truck I would ditch that exhaust brake, I would that do a 3" dp then 4" straight pipe after that.

For performance you can go whereever your budget allows, I would first do the exhaust and do a set of gauges for boost, pyro(exhaust temp) and a trans temp gauge if you have an auto.

After that you could do a chip, intercooler then add in injectors, e-fuel and a better turbo and be around 400hp.
I am thinking about getting rid of the exhaust brake since it doesn't appear to work anyways. A boost guage and trans temp guage are in my future as I am very used to seeing that information, drives me nuts they didn't put one in from the factory. I know DP's and exhaust can provide a lot for a turbo vehicle so that is what I will look into. What is a good quality SS exhaust for these trucks? What is e-fuel?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 AM
PSN Veteran

You also need a exhaust temp gauge....

E-fuel is electric fuel, the stock fuel pump on the OBS(Old Body Style) trucks is driven off the cam so fuel psi is always changing. E-fuel will change that to a constant 60-65psi.

For exhaust I would get a diamond eye kit.

02 f250
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Doesn't Have Spark Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
You also need a exhaust temp gauge....

E-fuel is electric fuel, the stock fuel pump on the OBS(Old Body Style) trucks is driven off the cam so fuel psi is always changing. E-fuel will change that to a constant 60-65psi.

For exhaust I would get a diamond eye kit.
Thanks for the info. Where do you get an E fuel? I will look into Diamond Eye tomorrow.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 PM
PSN Veteran

Either build your own kit or you can buy one.

02 f250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode