Truck falls on its face or dies when put into gear, but only when warm - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Truck falls on its face or dies when put into gear, but only when warm

The truck has a 112,000 miles on it and when the engine is cold, there is no problem when shifting it out of Park and into forward or reverse. When the engine is at operating temp. though, putting it into gear causes the RPM's to drop way off and on occasion it will bring it down far enough to stall it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1997 F-350 CC SRW 4x4 XLT, BTS, Rosewood 160cc injectors, 3" downpipe to 4" straight exhaust, TS 6 pos. chip, RSK with SD springs, gutted EBPV, Tymar intake, White w/ all clear lenses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Truck falls on its face or dies when put into gear, but only when warm

Whats your trans temp?

Im betting the TC is locking.

02 f250
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 05:31 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

I am with rob on this. It sounds like your torque converter is beginning to fail. I had this issue myself as well as many other members in the past. If you don't fix it soon it will take out the entire trans requiring a rebuild.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I had this problem before and still after I had Brian at BTS rebuild my trans and install one of their TC's. So, I don't think its that. He mentioned that he thought my truck idled rough and that it was probably on account of poor injector o-ring condition as they may still be the originals. I know Ford has updated the part number for them 4 or 5 times so could this be the cause of my stall problem too? I'm planning on putting a set of stage 1's in it sometime, so I don't really want to pull the injectors to re o-ring and then again to swap sticks.

1997 F-350 CC SRW 4x4 XLT, BTS, Rosewood 160cc injectors, 3" downpipe to 4" straight exhaust, TS 6 pos. chip, RSK with SD springs, gutted EBPV, Tymar intake, White w/ all clear lenses
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Missed the fact that you have a BTS in it. It still doesn't make sense that it only acts up when it is warm and you put it into gear.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yeah, that's what has me baffled too. I scanned the truck with a basic OBD II scanner and it came up with no codes. Anybody have any other help?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Demon Dually

You need a high end scanner for these trucks. Basic parts store scanners don't work on these trucks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode