Truck runs better with Gasser MAP Sensor??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Truck runs better with Gasser MAP Sensor???

A few days ago i bought a MAP sensor from O'Reillys and the guy told me he had one from Borg Warner. I bought the sensor for 50 bucks and installed it in the parking lot. Drove off and the truck felt alive!! I went home and replied to another thread about this and they said i was sold a MAP sensor for a Gas engine. I exchanged the sensor for one made for the powerstroke and the truck ran okay...but not as lively as the gasser one. What gives???

1997 XLT F350 4x4 CCLB - AFE Big Boost, MBRP 4in Turbo Back w/ 6 inch tip, TS 6 position chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 04:31 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Truck runs better with Gasser MAP Sensor???

My shop manual reads "The manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP sensor) (9F479) is used on some applications. The MAP sensor measures the pressure in the intake manifold (9424) and provides this information as a variable frequency signal to the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650). With the ignition switch in the KEY ON/ENGINE OFF position, the manifold absolute pressure sensor will indicate the barometric pressure in the intake manifold. The MAP sensor is used to indicate boost pressure on the diesel engine."

So I'm thinking that the gasser sensor isn't designed to read positive pressure like the diesel one is?

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

A friend of mine thought maybe since the sensor wasnt reading pressure it automatically defaulted to make the engine run at full rich.

1997 XLT F350 4x4 CCLB - AFE Big Boost, MBRP 4in Turbo Back w/ 6 inch tip, TS 6 position chip.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 03:27 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStroker97 View Post
A friend of mine thought maybe since the sensor wasnt reading pressure it automatically defaulted to make the engine run at full rich.
was teh truck smoking more. I would assume full rich would cause you to smoke way more in low boost conditions.

1996 F-250 PSD 4x4 5 sp. 4" TBE, bhaf, beans diesel 6 position chip. Needs injectors and an innercooler so bad. Low end TQ SUCKS! Even with 4:10s
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yeah gettin on the throttle there was a nice haze behind me lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode