Drivers door look wiring - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Drivers door look wiring

hey guys the drivers side door look has not worked since I bought my truck I finally bought a new door look actuator figuring the original one was beat. I went to replace it yesterday and turned out to be a wiring issuse the two wires (red with black tracer and pinkish with orenge tracer) that go to the actuator. Should they both become hot+ depending on lock or unlock because only the red/black wire becomes hot when hitting the lock bottom but nothing on the pink/orenge when trying to unlock does anyone have any wire diagrams for the door locks or know how the wiring works as far as how one wire is hot and the other is ground when locking and it being vise versa when unlocking. I've omd out the "bad" wire from the plug to about under the steering column and no breaks up to there but I can't realy trace the wire past that beacuse the harness branchs of so many time any help would be greatly appresiated thanks in advance

97 f350 cclb
95 f250 rclb sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 04:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Drivers door look wiring

Yeah, the polarity reverses depending on whether you hit the lock or unlock button. Might be a break in the wiring where it runs from the cowl to the door. That's a common spot since the wires flex from opening and closing the doors. (Could even be broken on the pass side and cause a problem with the driver's door since both power lock switches are interlocked).

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

It is most likely a broken wire inside the loom from the door to the jamb. It is very common. If it were broken on the passenger side then that lock wouldn't work either.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 AM
PSN Veteran

Pop out the right front window/lock switch panel and you'll find the other end of your pink/black and pink/orange wires. You can check for continuity there easier.

Do the rear door locks work?

Newest project: 1995 F350 CC/DRW 2WD E4OD. 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye system. But I'm still fixin' the broken stuff......
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yea all three other door locks work work with both pass and driver side switchs and with key fob so you think checking the wire for the passenger side is my best bet in findin if there is a break somewere

97 f350 cclb
95 f250 rclb sold
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 04:01 AM
PSN Veteran

I would at least check continuity from the plug at the driver's lock solenoid to the passenger lock switch since that's the other end of the wire. If it shows an open you can track the break from there. If it shows good then you won't waste time digging under the dash. I believe the rear doors splice in on the driver's side under the dash so (since the rear doors work) are you SURE there's no breaks in the driver's door jam area? Might hook up your continuity tester and have someone slowly open and close the door to make sure it's not intermittant?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Check the wires inside the loom from the drivers door to the door jamb. The rear door wiring ties in along the river side floor board under the plastic step plate. It is common for the wiring to corrode under there and cause issues but that would be for the rear doors.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
STILL LEARNING

If you pull your e-brake you can access the plug for the drivers door wiring and ohm out each wire

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Alrite thanks tomarow after work I'm gonna pull the door panal back off and check the door jam wiring again for continuity at the plug beheind the e-brake and see were I get It would be pretty sweet if I could get it figured out I finaly put batteries in my key fob it's only been a year lol

97 f350 cclb
95 f250 rclb sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode