95 F350 CCLB dies in seconds after start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
TNR
PSN Newb

95 F350 CCLB dies in seconds after start

I'm new to Powerstrokes and pretty much learning as I go. So far I've been able to fix most of the issues I've met by myself but this latest one is getting the better of me and I'm in a point where I'd appreciate any help you guys might be able to give me...

The thing is my truck currently starts just fine and settles on the low idle almost immediately after starting BUT after 3s - 4s it dies abruptly. It does it even if I try to prevent it by hitting the throttle... After letting it sit for about 30s to reset the GP system, the second try takes ages while the starter spins the motor and after about 5s - 10s it starts (if my batteries have enough juice in them) and struggles for a while before settling into a steady low idle. Second start won't choke, so if I get there, I'm good to go. Also it'll start just fine within hours of driving it but after work it might give me some trouble... The next day it's the same issue all over again even if I use my diesel fueled engine heater to warm the engine before heading out.

So far I've replaced the starter with a new high torque starter, installed new ZD-11 GPs as well as installed new air and fuel filters. I've tested the GPR with a multimeter and it seems to be working properly but I might replace it with the Stancor unit nevertheless. Next I've planned to take out the EBPV assembly and check if it's clogged and clean it if necessary. After that I'm kinda out of ideas of what to look for if EBPV isn't responsible of choking the engine...

My truck has 260k miles and only performance mods it has are 3" dp and 4" straight exhaust. Since it's my daily driver, I need it to be reliable as I know they can be, but I'm not quite there yet... Hopefully there's someone who recognizes these symptoms since I'm running out of ideas.

- Tero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:09 PM
ASE CERTIFIED TECH

Re: 95 F350 CCLB dies in seconds after start

I have a 96 that gave me the same problems. Ok I would start with the cps (crank position sensor) they are cheap enough to put one on. If that doesnt fix ur problem I have other ideas but to long to explain cause Im late for work but soon as i get off (6pm central) Ill come back to the post to check on status. I work on these truck for a living and worked for Ford for 8 years and know that the cps is a common problem with the obs trucks...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
TNR
PSN Newb

I'll call my nearest parts store and see if they have a CPS that fits my truck on the shelf and I'll let you all know if that helps. Thank you for the help!

- Tero

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
TNR
PSN Newb

Just a quick update. Parts store didn't have a CPS for my year model on the shelf so they ordered one for me and I should have it by this time next week. I'll update my progress on this thread once I have it installed.

- Tero
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 03:09 AM
ASE CERTIFIED TECH

Ok cool. Keep me posted!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
TNR
PSN Newb

It took me a while but I finally installed the new CPS (dark blue) on yesterday. First start right after replacing the CPS resulted in engine dying just like before but strangely enough it started nicely this morning and didn't struggle or anything. So replacing the CPS might've helped but I'll give it a few days before the final verdict...

As a nice bonus I noticed that the new CPS resulted in quite a lot smoother idle compared to the old grey CPS.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:32 AM
ASE CERTIFIED TECH

Hmmm. I'm going to look into some symptoms for 7.3l at work. Any TSB with same problems. But yeah see what it does for a few days and I'll check the post for a reply...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 AM
ASE CERTIFIED TECH

Oh one more thing when was the last time you changed the motor oil?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
TNR
PSN Newb

I changed motor and transmission oil this summer, less than 3000 miles ago, and I've been planning on changing the motor oil again for the winter. It's running on synthetic 5w40 oil.

This morning it started alright with a nice and even idle except a small dip in RPM right about the time it usually would've died. Even though it's still a little too early to tell, it looks like changing the CPS might've helped but didn't fully solve my issue...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
TNR
PSN Newb

Just a quick update. It seems that replacing the CPS didn't help with my issue... Today and yesterday my truck started fairly roughly and died shortly after starting even though I had it on the engine heater for an hour. Second try seems to be a bit easier with the new CPS and once it's running it has a very nice idle. Any ideas what I should look into next?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode