Need any help I can get - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Location: I am from south Texas but currently live in Illinois
Need any help I can get

My name is Joe and I have a 1996 F350 crew cab 4X4 powerstroke and the guy I bought it from just had 160 pound injectors installed but it has not been properly tuned. It smokes pretty bad and smells like raw diesel, my question is, what are my options to correct this issue? I just want the truck to run like it should and not smoke so bad when at idle. I have no experiance with any diesel performance. I bought two powerstrokes new in 1996 and 1997 and never even thought about tuning them up back then. I have asked several guys I work with but have never had a response worth looking in to, please help a rookie out if you can. I also cannot get my cruise control to work, the previuos owner said he thinks it may be a vacuum line issue, any help will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: Need any help I can get

First off the guy gave you a line. There is no such thing as xxx# injectors for these engines. Perhaps he mean 160cc injectors? If you are smelling raw fuel then you either have a leak, a hung injector, or some sort of hack job. As far as the cruise is concerned, there is no vacuum line for the cruise. You either have a brake light out, the pressure switch on the master cylinder is bad, the clock spring is bad in the steering column, or the switches on the steering wheel are faulty.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you for the reply, I found the reciept for the injector job and I will call them today to get the real story about what was actually done, and thanks for the info on the cruise control stuff, I will start searching those areas today, I have alot to learn on this thing. The diesel smell is obviously coming out of the pipes. As soon as I start it up, it has a pretty steady cloud of the white or grayish smoke that smells like pure diesel. Once again, thanks

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 04:14 PM
<-Friends bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank48 View Post
Thank you for the reply, I found the reciept for the injector job and I will call them today to get the real story about what was actually done, and thanks for the info on the cruise control stuff, I will start searching those areas today, I have alot to learn on this thing. The diesel smell is obviously coming out of the pipes. As soon as I start it up, it has a pretty steady cloud of the white or grayish smoke that smells like pure diesel. Once again, thanks
Does it ever quit smoking ?...

Rick....

Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Special thanks to RacerX USA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Once I have driven it for a few minutes, it doesn't smoke as bad, but, it seems to smoke all the time and it is always the raw diesel looking smoke and the strong diesel smell
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 PM
STILL LEARNING

I know my 97 burns your eyes it is so rich, I hate it. But no one has an answer as to what causes it

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Continuous white/greyish smoke from the exhaust tells me you either have a hung injector or a poorly built one that is dumping fuel all the time.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_brad View Post
I know my 97 burns your eyes it is so rich, I hate it. But no one has an answer as to what causes it

Tunes???

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:

Introduction only. Please email if I can help.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 09:23 PM
STILL LEARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSWIZ View Post
Tunes???
Stock, tuned, different tuner. Doesnt matter

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 PM
PSN Veteran

WOW.....weird.....have a resistor mod? Sounds like a timing issue.

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Full Force, Tymar, BTS, Icon, Pure Performance, TW tunes, just to name a few.

email:

Introduction only. Please email if I can help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode