water(coolant) in oil , bad oil cooler? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Smile water(coolant) in oil , bad oil cooler?

97 f250 7.3psd. No real upgrades to speak of. Did some work on it, had a bad crank sensor, ipr was bad , uvch was toast , ipr pig tail crunchy , replaced the glow plugs n injector cups and injector o rings. Had a cracked cup and 2 bad orings. Did the cups without removing the engine . In the process I noticed the oil was really thin and dark. I got the truck running . It's running way better now. Like I said the oil was thin so I drained it n had it analyzed at the CAT dealer. Came back with excessive water(coolant) . No leaks anywhere but my question is can the water and coolant mix because of a bad oil cooler? The oils not like the result of a blown head gaskets . It's really dark and super thin. No codes whatsoever all the lights n buzzers work :) any thoughts guys ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 09:51 PM
PSN Local

Re: water(coolant) in oil , bad oil cooler?

Could be oil cooler or o-rings hopefully that is all yours is. Mine started like that then bam the oil looked like latex paint turns out previous owner didnt change coolant or used wrong coolant or straight water when he did change now i have to replace the front cover.

Daily 2002 F-250 Lariat CCSB 4x4 7.3L 356,000. 4" turbo back, DI 6 position, ebpv delete, 6637 intake, ATS stage 2, bellowed up-pipes, inline spin-on trans filter, plate/fin trans cooler, boost, pyro, IAT temp gauges.

Wife's 2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 4x4 straight pipe, CAI, ATS Stage 2, GTP38R, T-500, PHP Hydra, boost, pyro, trans Gauges.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

How did you find out the cover was bad?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 04:34 AM
PSN Local

Replaced the oil cooler and still had a problem so after changing the water, just cause it started leaking as well no relation to the oil. I pressurized the cooling system and noticed a leak down so a buddy of mine told me to remove the hpop reservoir fill the cooling system and pressurize to 16 psi again and look down in between the front cover and block. Sure enough you could see water spraying from behind w/p area pulled the w/p back off and upon very close inspection you could see the crack

Daily 2002 F-250 Lariat CCSB 4x4 7.3L 356,000. 4" turbo back, DI 6 position, ebpv delete, 6637 intake, ATS stage 2, bellowed up-pipes, inline spin-on trans filter, plate/fin trans cooler, boost, pyro, IAT temp gauges.

Wife's 2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 4x4 straight pipe, CAI, ATS Stage 2, GTP38R, T-500, PHP Hydra, boost, pyro, trans Gauges.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 04:58 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

That cracked injector cup could have been the cause of coolant in the oil as well.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 AM
<-Friends bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon31176 View Post
That cracked injector cup could have been the cause of coolant in the oil as well.
Never heard that one . The HP pressure Is so much higher than coolant pressure it would be oil in the coolant .. Cracked cups usually cause Fuel in the coolant ...

Rick....

Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Special thanks to RacerX USA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:02 AM
PSN Local

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:46 AM
PSN Veteran

But what happens after you shut down the engine, and the oil pressure drops to atmospheric, but the coolant is still under pressure from being hot? Could that possibly cause coolant to get into the oil via the injector cups? Still, in that case, you'd expect to see both forms of contamination.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Interesting points. I'm gonna do the oil cooler anyways.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
But what happens after you shut down the engine, and the oil pressure drops to atmospheric, but the coolant is still under pressure from being hot? Could that possibly cause coolant to get into the oil via the injector cups? Still, in that case, you'd expect to see both forms of contamination.
This is exactly what I meant and I have seen it happen, or I should say it was the only logical explanation to coolant in the oil and once the injector cups were done it didn't do it again.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode