Time for an injector rebuild and process - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Time for an injector rebuild and process

Another question for you all. I have 3 trucks my boss asked me to pull and do all 8 injectors on. I plan on doing my own as well. These are fleet trucks and we are just going to go with premium rebuilds from rosewood. I plan on doing 1.5's for mine.

The reason we are doing this these few trucks have a sticky injector issue. We have taken them to a very respectable diesel shop here in CO, and were told the injectors are sticking untill the motor warms up, He has told us the same thing multiple times and he thinks its time for injectors due to the tests done on the injectors.(Front Range Diesel) I'm sure there are many of you who have experienced this... especially in colder states. The issue has continually gotten worse over the last couple years on two of the trucks. The truck will run on 7 out of 8 cylinders untill it warms up a bit and then it runs excellent. Its like a switch flicks and your back to normal. Happens every morning with mine within the first 2 miles leaving the house. Hold your glow plug and relay/vc gasket comments. All our trucks have brand new OE Motorcraft GPs and VC gaskets w stancore relays.

One of the specific trucks sounds like its almost 3 cylinders down when cold. Its almost impossible to start in the cold, and typically takes a consistent jump to keep the batteries in check from cranking and cycling the glow plugs. It is much easier to start when plugged in but still is a bear to get running. Blows white diesel when cold too. Compression test on all three are well within spec when warm, and the smoke is diesel not oil. It will warm up after idling horribly rough and once warm it idles perfect, and it tows like a bat out of hell all day. Pretty sure they are the factory stock injectors at around 220k.

Anyways I will be pulling them and sending them to Jim at Rosewood. I have never done business with him, but from the sounds of it he does top notch work. I personally have never done injectors on these trucks and was hoping you all could point me in the right direction to a thread that has pics and steps for removal of the injectors. I have done glow plugs on all them, and that was easy enough, just have not done injectors.

I wanted to check with you all who have experienced this problem what the solution was for you. With brand new batteries, starter, and oil change the truck experiences the same issue. The GP system is brand new which really points me to injectors... It runs great after a half hour of hard idling to bring the motor up to temp and then the injectors free up and it idles smooth and run like its a 100 degree day out. Like I said he is not sure if the injectors are stock from the factory or not, but I have a feeling they are. I'm not really sure how to tell either.

So in resolution:

1. I need a link to detailed threads on how to replace injectors... I heard you can hydro lock and bend a rod, and will be in deep #### if this happens!

2. Any advice on what else it may be before I send them off... He will loose his #### if I charge him for a set of injectors and the truck still won't start and idle on a cold morning, even when plugged in. I'm only doing one truck at a time.

Thanks in advance!

96 F250 CCSB, D60 SAS, 460, E40D, 3:55's, D-Thorleys
Sold the supercharged 547, 12V cummins twin swap in process
97 SCLB 7.3 PSD ZF5, 4:10'S, DP tuner, 6637, 4" Straight, EBPV delete, CCV delete, 3" plenums w 6.0 IC/ Rosewood stage 1's/waterinjection/ T500 ARPs, springs, rods and a 366 in process
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Time for an injector rebuild and process

Just what I do when R&R'ing injectors:

Once the injectors are out, I like to suck all the fluid out of each cylinder with a mightyvac. Then, once the injectors are installed and glowplugs are out, I will place the valvecovers in position and spin the engine over by hand a few revolutions (wrench on crank bolt). After that, you should not have any hydrolocking issues. Some folks will say that is overkill (some just put the VC's in place and spin the engine with GP's out using the starter without sucking anything out), but I'd rather take the extra time and not risk it. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Terminator Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Just what I do when R&R'ing injectors:

Once the injectors are out, I like to suck all the fluid out of each cylinder with a mightyvac. Then, once the injectors are installed and glowplugs are out, I will place the valvecovers in position and spin the engine over by hand a few revolutions (wrench on crank bolt). After that, you should not have any hydrolocking issues. Some folks will say that is overkill (some just put the VC's in place and spin the engine with GP's out using the starter without sucking anything out), but I'd rather take the extra time and not risk it. Cheers!
After turning the engine over by hand, crank it over with the starter without installing the glowplugs or plugging in the injectors. Do this for about 10-15 seconds then cool down for about 5 minutes repeat 3-4 times. The engine will crank over at a very high speed purging a lot of air out of the oil gallerys, blowing out any residual oil out of the cylinders and does not flatten out the batterys. Then reinstall the glowplugs/ plug in the injectors. The engine will fire up very quickly.

Once you loosen the injector clamp, I use a Vaughn SuperBar to pry out the injector from the intake side of the head.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 03:59 AM
PSN Newb

Please keep us informed how this turns out. I have a similar issue I have been fighting for years. I have rebuilt my injectors (DIY stage I's) but never replaced them.

97 F350 CCLB 4X4 DIY Stage I's, Beans D66 Turbo, SD CAC, Tymar Filter, T-500 HPOP
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 04:22 AM
Swamped

Quote:
Originally Posted by nossliw View Post
1. I need a link to detailed threads on how to replace injectors... I heard you can hydro lock and bend a rod, and will be in deep #### if this happens!

2. Any advice on what else it may be before I send them off... He will loose his #### if I charge him for a set of injectors and the truck still won't start and idle on a cold morning, even when plugged in. I'm only doing one truck at a time.
Look here

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/files/7....Diagnostic.pdf

And here

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/site/ins...stallation.pdf

2012 F350 6.7 Lariat - Stock for now
1999 F250 7.3 Lariat - Up for sale soon
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 AM
PSN Newb

Any update on how this worked out?

97 F350 CCLB 4X4 DIY Stage I's, Beans D66 Turbo, SD CAC, Tymar Filter, T-500 HPOP
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 03:27 AM
Addicted Offroad

Very thorough write-up
How To: 7.3L Powerstroke Injector Removal and Installation

Scotty
Addicted Offroad

1994.5 F350 CC, DRW, ZF5, 2WD. Valair Clutch, Stage 1's, T-500, 6637, 7.3L Intercooler, 3" to 4" Diamond Eye, PHP Hydra Chip.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I will let you all know in about 3 weeks when its its finished... I have to wait 2 weeks till December till we can pull thr truck off the fleet.

97 SCLB 7.3 PSD ZF5, 4:10'S, DP tuner, 6637, 4" Straight, EBPV delete, CCV delete, 3" plenums w 6.0 IC/ Rosewood stage 1's/waterinjection/ T500 ARPs, springs, rods and a 366 in process
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the links!!!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well just a little update...

Started the first fleet truck today, took about 4 hours to get everything out and tested before removal. Fairly simple job needless to say. Motor is purged and ready for the new sticks. Calling Jim on Monday and will order the stock sticks for the fleet truck, and then stage 1's for my truck.

My personal truck has been progressively worse. More oil consumption, wont start when its below 35. Fires right up without injectors sticking when its plugges in for 1-2 hours...

Anyways I'll update this thread as time goes on... was really hoping to get 6 more weeks out of my injectors but if we get a winter that isn't abnormally warm, then I'll be SOL at the lot on my way home from work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode