Hard starting, need advice - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hard starting, need advice

I have a '96 F-250 with about 100k miles on it. Lately the first start up of the day has been difficult. I checked other forums on here and it seemed like it was either the glow plugs or relay. I replaced both with motorcraft parts. The truck still just cranks. I cycle the plugs two or three times and it starts to smoke out the pipe. Eventually it fires up after three or four tries and billowes black and white smoke for a second then clears up. I only drive the truck once or twice a week. This is a fairly new problem. Also I have noticed the inside of the tail pipe now looks damp and oily. Sometimes the truck blows a little faint white smoke until the engine warms up. The temperatures here have been mild maybe in the lower 50's at night.

Any advice is appriciated.

1996 F-250 ex cab 4x4 100k miles. DIY intake from Riff Raff Diesel. 3"-4" diamond eye turbo back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: Hard starting, need advice

Anyone......????

1996 F-250 ex cab 4x4 100k miles. DIY intake from Riff Raff Diesel. 3"-4" diamond eye turbo back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM
PSN Veteran

Have you tested the relay and glow plugs? What happens when you plug the block heater in for a couple of hours before you start the truck?

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The relay and glow plugs are brand new. I will see if they are getting any power to them. And I will try the block heater.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 11:57 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Wonderful View Post
The relay and glow plugs are brand new.
That doesn't answer the question of whether you've tested them. Brand new parts can be faulty, and brand new perfectly good parts can be installed into faulty circuits.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Sorry for the confusion. No i did not test them....yet. I will do so asap and post the results. I'm also going to check the battery cables and terminals.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ok I checked the GPR and in the process I noticed the terminal ring was getting proper voltage. However the copper post was no reading any voltage. I cleaned the terminal ring bolted it back on and it fired up immediately...... I am still getting the grayish haze coming from the exhaust untill the engine warms up. Is this normal? Also I have noticed since I have had the truck the temperature gauge has never gotten past the "N" in normal. I have not done any towing or heavy hauling other than a yard of dirt a few times. Again I am still new to diesel and just wondering if this is an indicator of something needing attention?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 PM
PSN Veteran

A little bit of smoky haze is normal on start ups when the temperatures are a little bit cooler. As long as they clear up it is no problem. My temperature gauge never did move above the N in normal until I put in a 203 degree thermostat and now it runs between the R and M. Just a FYI diesels run a lot cooler than a gas engine, they will actually cool down if you just sit in one spot and idle them for a while.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thank you for all the info. The vets on here sure take care of us newbs What benefits do you get from using the higher temperature thermostat?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Wonderful View Post
Thank you for all the info. The vets on here sure take care of us newbs What benefits do you get from using the higher temperature thermostat?
In theory the engine will run better and give you better mileage. Some will say that it does and some will say that it doesn't. You can read about it here on the Diesel Site Web site.

I have only had it in for a few months and haven't really tested it enough to form a opinion one way or another.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode