New emergency brake cable? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

New emergency brake cable?

Alright so every now and then my parking light comes on randomly even though i never use the parking brake. Whenever the light comes on my brakes all of the sudden suck, they seem really stiff I push them to the floor and I still can barley stop. Definitley not the safest situation haha especially when I'm pulling in a parking spot or in the walmart parking lot and the truck hardley stops. Is it true this is probably just the parking brake cable?? Also where can I order it? I tried to order it along with some other brake parts from Ford and they called me and told me all of those parts are discontinued and unavailable. So what do I do ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 PM
STILL LEARNING

Re: New emergency brake cable?

Not the e-brake cable and your ford dealer is an IDIOT, they ARE available.

I would be looking at your master cyl,booster, or vacuum pump

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Which should I look at first? and are you saying that they could all need replaced or just one of them?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Is it most likely the vaccum pump? because the brakes get very stiff if pumped and brake light comes on them when you drive awhile light goes back out. Is this due to the vaccum pump taking a long time to build back up pressure?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 PM
STILL LEARNING

Most likely it is just one.

I never had a bad vacuum pump throw a light, but It is certainly possible. I think the pump is supposed to put out 15HgV. I think

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:34 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

It is more than likely the vacuum pump. There is a sensor mounted right in front of the vacuum tree that will throw the brake light on if the vacuum drops too low. This will cause your brake pedal to become hard as a rock. An easy test would be next time the light comes on disconnect that sensor and see if the light goes out. If it does then the pump is the issue. You could also test the vacuum supply from the pump to see if it drops off.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well hopefully the vaccum pump is not the case because I just ordered a brake booster I know this is a stupid question but now that I have ordered the part how do I replace it. Can someone give me a write up on what to do? Are dissconnecting the brake lines nessesarry? Do I have to rebleed them all? thanks guys
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Unbolt the two bolts securing the master cylinder to the brake booster. Gently pull it forward away from the brake booster. Disconnect the vacuum line going to the brake booster. From inside the cab remove the four nuts holding the brake booster to the firewall and remove the brake booster. Reverse for reassembly.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thank you very much!! That sounds much easier than what I was expecting
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Demon Dually

Correction to the instructions. I stated to remove the two bolts securing master cylinder to brake booster. I should have stated to remove the two nuts instead. Oversight on my part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode