White Smoke / Knock / Lock-Up - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

White Smoke / Knock / Lock-Up

So I am taking my daughter to school and the truck is running awesome. Going up a steep grade pushing 24lbs hauling ass making all kinds of great noise. Get off the freeway and at the light I notice what looks like smoke coming from the exhaust. Turn the corner and the truck is running wierd and more smoke. Can't tell what color yet because of the sun in my face. Pull into her school to drop her off and the truck gets swallowed in a cloud of white. She jumps out and I head out of the parking lot so I don't embarass her anymore than I already have. :lol: Back on the street the good noises are replaced by an aweful knocking noise so I pull to the side so I don't mess things up too bad.

Now it won't turn over. Like I blew a head gasket and a cylinder is full of water. But there is no indication of water in the oil. Having never blown the head gasket on my 7.3, is it possible for the water to just be contained to the cylinders? Every Big Block Chevy head gasket I have blown sent water everywhere.

Is it possible this could be injector related? My injectors are not that old though.

I can't do much about it right now as I am on the side of the road waiting for the flatbed to come pick me up. Not looking forward to all the work heading my way. Or the expense of replacing this and that while I am in there.

1997 F350 with a few mods and over 392,000 miles.

National Spring Leafs, E-Fuel, John Woods Transmission, Detroit Lockers Front & Rear, 4:56 Gears, Michelin XML Tires, Custom RSK...

Lots of pictures
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: White Smoke / Knock / Lock-Up

There might be a chance that an injector cup went out or an injector stuck open. In the exhaust I would think you would still smell some coolant or raw fuel.

96 with 320,000, Idm mod,
Tc mod, van turbo, 200/30 rosewood,
T 500 hpop, Dy 3" down pipe,
glowshift gauges, D60kp swap, custom track arms,
steering wheel swap, 6637 mod, Hydra chip, WW2,
calf fuel spring and BB mod
6.0 fan, cooler,
Pmf 2.25 rsk sd springs

78 f-150 turbo big block
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:25 PM
PSN Local

Sounds like an injector nozzle let go, blew an injector o-ring, or an injector somehow became unseated.

Jimmy
97 F-250 ECLB 7.3/E4OD/4wd, 215k miles: FFD 250/200%'s, Swamps IDM, built trans, shimmed 910's, Melling LPOP, welded cam gear/modified pick-up tube, Homemade e-fuel/intake/exhaust/traction bars, D66, Built and tuned by me

97 ECSB F-250 project truck. Current plans: 7.3, BTS, 250/2's, 468, stock bottom end

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

The white smoke around the truck did not smell anything like coolant. I am hoping for an injector problem of some kind. Never thought I would say that but it sure beats removing the heads.

With all of the filtration it seems wierd that something could get through to hang up an injector.

I will hopefully be able to pull the valve covers off in the next few days to find out what cylinder is full and what it is full of. Fuel or coolant.

National Spring Leafs, E-Fuel, John Woods Transmission, Detroit Lockers Front & Rear, 4:56 Gears, Michelin XML Tires, Custom RSK...

Lots of pictures
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 AM
PSN Veteran

I wonder if an injector can overheat and stick or score.

96 with 320,000, Idm mod,
Tc mod, van turbo, 200/30 rosewood,
T 500 hpop, Dy 3" down pipe,
glowshift gauges, D60kp swap, custom track arms,
steering wheel swap, 6637 mod, Hydra chip, WW2,
calf fuel spring and BB mod
6.0 fan, cooler,
Pmf 2.25 rsk sd springs

78 f-150 turbo big block
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM
STILL LEARNING

Let us know how you make out. "hopefully" it is just an injector

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 06:05 PM
PSN Local

The engine can hydro lock on fuel alone.

Happened when I popped a nozzle on my SD.

Pulled the glow plugs turned it over and found the cylinder.

Ended up replacing all the cups and having the injectors rebuilt while I was in there.

1997 F250 05+ Axle Swap 3.73 Home Built 4-link Front with Ballistic Parts. 2.5" Front Coils. B-code Rear. DIY Trans w/ Precision COnverter. DIY Traction Bars. TDP 6-Pos Chip BW TP38 w/ 1.00 EXH. Rosewood DIY STG1's. DIY E-Fuel w/ Dual FM100's. SD quad pod above Rearview
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboaz2 View Post
The engine can hydro lock on fuel alone.

Happened when I popped a nozzle on my SD.

Pulled the glow plugs turned it over and found the cylinder.

Ended up replacing all the cups and having the injectors rebuilt while I was in there.

Were you ever able to determine why it happened?

My injectors are not that old. I realize things happen but my original injectors went almost 300,000. I only replaced them because I figured it could only make the truck run that much better.

I hope I will be able to figure out why this happened so I can try to prevent it from happening again.

I hope to tear into it today to find out what is happening.

Lots of pictures
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Could long periods of ideling cause problems?

Friday I had to take a call on the cell and decided I would pull over instead of drive and risk the ticket. Phone call was maybe 15 or 20 minutes. Before pulling away I happened to notice the exhaust was smoking a bit. I thought maybe ideling for so long there was fuel not burning like it should and that a few miles driving would clear it up. It did not smoke, or appear to smoke until I pulled off the freeway and stop at the light. Truck seemed to run just fine. Just smoking a little. Not like a huge black cloud. Just a lite hazing.

Did not drive all weekend. Monday morning it started right up, there was a puff of smoke that I figured was just junk from the last time I drove. The smoke went away almost instantly and nothing happened all the way to work. About 30 miles. Starting up that afternoon to go home it was moking again at idle. Truck ran great and anything above idle there was no smoke.

The next morning was somewhat cool out. Cool for SoCal anyways. My daughter and I were commenting on being able to see our breath. Started the truck and it was making the white cloud that vehicles do when it's cool out. Truck ran great all the way to her school and that is when all heck broke loose and the truck died. Well it didn't die, I shut it off thinking I should look to see if there was anything to see under the hood. I cycled the key off and on a few times to listen to the fuel pump to see if there was anything wierd there and everything looked and sounded fine. When I went to start the truck it was all locked up.

Big ass tow truck brought me home and it's sitting in the driveway waiting for me to tear it apart.

Another thing I have been slacking on is getting the truck tuned with the single shot injectors. Truck came with split shots. I was able to get the truck running with a single +30 tune or something like that. I am not well versed in the multi-position tuning thing. I have been trying to get over to Mr Woods to finish the tuning but have not made it yet. Maybe this is a result in too much fuel running through the injectors at idle and screwing something up?

I will definately post my results as I figure things out.

Lots of pictures
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM
PSN Veteran

oh dear god man, you just got those injectors in, hurry up I'm expecting a full detailed pictorial of your adventures once again, and don't take so long to get it done this time will ya?

sorry for the luck, I'd bet its an injector

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

1996 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
6637 tymar
285-75-16 BFG All Terrains/Weld Wheels
3:55 gears
Automatic with billet convertor, tugger and alto discs
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode