Turbocharger Problem? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Turbocharger Problem?

Major problem yesterday. I was moving my equipment to a job site and experienced a major loss of power. I have a '95 cab and chassis with a dump body and a huge central hydraulic system. The truck with me in it and 1 full fuel tank weighs about 7800lbs. I was pulling my skidsteer and trailer which together are about 11,000lbs. I also had my surface planer in the bed at about another 3000lbs. So I'm creeping up on 22,000lbs. I've pulled this load many times. First symptom was coming out of a curve at around 30 mph. When I stepped on the pedal, it just chugged. No turbo spool. I took off from a stop sign and it was chugging with no turbo spool again. The truck is an automatic, but it seemed like I was taking off in a manual in 3rd gear or something. When the rpm's reach about 2000+, the turbo will start to spool, but not loud like usual. And I have to get the engine up closer to redline to get the same normal power. Also, when it's chugging, the trans does not want to kick down. The only mods done are a 3" downpipe, cat delete with the exhaust turned out before the rear wheels. I've eliminated the ccv, and it has a k&n filter. Repairs this year have been a new icp sensor and plug, and a new carter replacement fuel pump. It also has a new water pump, 192 degree thermostat and a new Hayden fan clutch. The trans and tc are kind of tired. The tc rattles hard when either locking up or slipping when increasing throttle while cruising. There is also no cel. I have also noticed the last month or so that in the morning when I first start the truck, the turbocharger does not want to spool up until I either drive it quarter mile or so, or let the engine warm for quite a while. The truck has just under 98,000 original miles. I don't know what's happening, but I've got to figure this one out. Also, I do not have any aftermarket gauges. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 03:16 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Turbocharger Problem?

I'm leaning towards the ebpv is closing on ya....

02 f250
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I've thought that as well. Especially in the morning. I can hear it cycle in the morning. When the truck is acting up, if you step on the throttle it kind of sounds like a old gas engine sucking more air than fuel. I've been wanting to get rid of it anyway. I was just waiting until I had the cash flow to do the pedestal too. I just can't see it being the turbo just not wanting to spin. Besides, there's no other turbo symptoms. No external oil leaks. No oil in the exhaust. No unusual noises or vibrations coming from it either. I guess it's time to start parts shopping. Maybe someone else on the site has had an ebpv problem. Thanks Rob.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 05:55 PM
STILL LEARNING

For right now, just unplug the solenoid and wire open the EBPV. It will cost nothing other than 5 min of your time

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Yeah, that would get me by while I chase down parts. It would also let me be sure the ebpv is indeed bad.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 12:42 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msscatter View Post
Yeah, that would get me by while I chase down parts. It would also let me be sure the ebpv is indeed bad.
There a two wire plug towards the bottom of the turbo pedastal, one wire should be green with a red tracer.

02 f250
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 04:49 AM
Fixing Broken Stuff

Yep ^^^ thats what it sounds like. You really need to scan it, if it has P0476, P0478 its probably your EBP valve switch tube is plugged, pretty common to see. I'm never lucky at cleaning them, I just replace them. You can get the tube aftermarket from Dorman.

2015 Challenger HellCat Redline Red 8sp
1997 F350 4X4 CCLB PSD
2004 Jetta TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 11mm pump S7 PP764's 3bar MAP
1986 F350 CC Dually 6.9 ATS turbo lowered
1984 Mark VII 2.4 BMW Turbo Diesel
1970 Roadrunner 383 4sp
1970 Cuda 426 4sp Dana 60
1956 F100
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I cleaned the tube this spring. It really wasn't dirty. But who knows what else is going on in the system. I'm probably going to do it all. Eliminate the ebpv, new pedestal and a 1.0 housing. Almost all of my driving is done in the country and I sure could use a boost in low end torque. This has got to be one of the dumbest ideas ever. Here in Michigan when it gets cold, we just plug the damn things in. Or at least let them warm up for a while. I'm hoping I can limp it through until winter. My fall is looking to be very busy, I can't afford any down time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well, brought it all home tonight, no problems at all. Pulled great. Maybe it was just being temperamental. Who knows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode