truck start up with miss - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Taters #2 Fan

Send a message via AIM to JohnDeere9610 Send a message via Yahoo to JohnDeere9610
truck start up with miss

when I start my truck first start of the day. It blow white smoke and has a miss untill it warmes up abit. drive down the road 1/4 mile. Its still summer here so I dont let the glow plugs burn all that long. But I wouldnt think it should smoke as much as it does.
Injecters need to be reworked?

Its been doing this for awhile just figgured I would ask away. Kinda bored

RDRCM# Five O

95 F350
Full Force stage 3 Hybrids
H2E
2L Motorsports Gen 3
Beans fuel system
Transmission by Jon Faubion
Tuned by the "WILDMAN"

99.5 Dodge
P-Pump 24v
2.6 puller
"Whitey"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 11:41 PM

Re: truck start up with miss

Could be a bad glow plug or two or a bad injector. With it still being fairly warm out I'd lean toward and injector. Do a cylender contribution test on it and see what it says.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 02:29 AM
<----Colin Banks

That is a glow plug issue and the white smoke is unburned fuel. You either need to install new plugs, or new GPR, or new batteries, or new cables.
When my 96 did this, I installed new glow plugs and that did not fix it. I installed new batteries and that was not it. I was informed by someone it might be the cables. Cables looked good but that was the problem. It lights right up now even when it was below 0 this last winter.

><>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1996 PSD F-350 crew cab 4x4, 5 speed,AB CODE CALI TRUCK- Tuned by DI

2013 F250 4x4 CCLB Platinum Edition

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 07:50 PM
PSN Local

I too have a rough runner first 5 or 10 minutes with some white smoke on startup....Glow plugs and relay are new. It started when I swapped injectors. I think it's an injector problem.

1997 F-350 PSD. Std Cab. Auto. IDM Mod, 1's,17* HPOP, TS-6 pos. tweaked by TW. ARB Bull bar, 8,000# Warn, IPF lights, 315/75/16 Toyo mud terrain.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 12:56 AM
X Racer

Mine started that after adding an intake and losing a cat. White smoke at start up is cold combustion temps. Brand new Cat engines blow smoke too
-
-
-

Contact Racer X USA for Fully Custom built transmissions, Torque Converters & Valve Bodies.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 01:13 AM
<-Friends bike

Mine quit after the IPR crapped out & replaced it with new.....

Most of the time you could still see the truck...(its white).......
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:28 PM
All Ford Guy

White smoke is kind of the classic g/p system indication. That is also easier to check out than injector issues, so it makes sense to start there... ohm them out and confirm the relay is giving them power.

If you eliminate the g/p system as the problem, the first injector test would be measuring the clearance under the armature plate (which would reveal worn poppets). The classic symptom for worn poppets is the miss on cold start that goes away like someone "flipped a switch" and it then runs perfect. Also seems to show worse after extended cold soak when the oil is nice and thick.

Oh, does the motor run great when it's warm?

TC

97 F350 CC LB 4x4, ZF-5, LUK, Off-Road. Factory Alcoas, Michelin LTX-M/S LT265/75-16, Bilsteins. Homegrown intake, 4" exhaust, LUK clutch, 130cc injectors, 99+ intercooler, homegrown CCV mod, homegrown electric fuel system, still sorting out tuning/chip burns.
2003 Tahoe 27' Travel Trailer, Prodigy brake controller.
1991 5.0 LX - Best 1/4: [email protected]
1989 Taurus SW (To be like Tom S!)
Link to my Intercooler/Fuel System Install page -

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepermc View Post
I too have a rough runner first 5 or 10 minutes with some white smoke on startup....Glow plugs and relay are new. It started when I swapped injectors. I think it's an injector problem.

Do you just have stock ADs? Should try going back to some singles that flow 160cc or so of fuel. I think you will like them a lot better.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels View Post
Do you just have stock ADs? Should try going back to some singles that flow 160cc or so of fuel. I think you will like them a lot better.
In good time I will....

1997 F-350 PSD. Std Cab. Auto. IDM Mod, 1's,17* HPOP, TS-6 pos. tweaked by TW. ARB Bull bar, 8,000# Warn, IPF lights, 315/75/16 Toyo mud terrain.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 03:43 AM
OBS junkie

I'd say Glow Plugs or injectors.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode