Hard cold starts suddenly - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Hard cold starts suddenly

My 97 was cold starting with no problems this fall but now it is taking several cranks to get it to light. Usually it will almost catch on the first crank. When I continue to turn it over, white smoke comes out the exhaust. It also spews white smoke when it starts going. It doesn't run rough once it starts. I was going to ohm test the glow plugs and see if jumping the GPR would help out. Is there anything else that could be the culprit?

97 Cali F-350 4x4 5spd std cab, 6637, 5" exhaust, TW tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Old guy from the old days

Re: Hard cold starts suddenly

Start when the engine is cold by using a set of jumper cables (well, one cable actually) to jump from one big to the other big terminal on the glowplug relay for 60 seconds (it will probably arc a bit so be prepared for that). Disconnect after 60 seconds and try starting. If it starts like it should you have (most likely) a failed glow plug relay or what controls the relay is at fault. If you will send me an email at [email protected] with GLOW PLUG INFORMATION in the subject line, let me know what site you saw this on and where to email I will reply with three attachments - a write-up I did several years on the glow plug relay testing and operation, a write-up by another gentleman who went by Carpentractor back in the day on the glow plug system and glow plug replacement and information on parts to repair the wiring harnesses that plug into the valve cover gaskets from the outside.

Dave / Believer45

1995 F250 'Stroke 4x2 5 spd long bed, Edge Evolution CTR, homebuilt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, switched 10k, Putco Master Boss running boards, one off heavy duty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 36" tall contractor cap, 287,000 miles.
for glow plug system help.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 04:14 PM
PSN Veteran

I would check the GPR... Also you could ohm out the glow plug pins at the uvcg... They are the outside pins for each plug.

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Old guy from the old days

I completely forgot - two of the attachments I send out are available here in the LIBRARY section, link HERE for anyone who needs the information.

1995 F250 'Stroke 4x2 5 spd long bed, Edge Evolution CTR, homebuilt
, switched 10k, Putco Master Boss running boards, one off heavy duty
, 36" tall contractor cap, 287,000 miles.
for glow plug system help.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 01:03 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believer45 View Post
I completely forgot - two of the attachments I send out are available here in the LIBRARY section, link HERE for anyone who needs the information.
Great writeup....thanks

1996, F350, CCLB, 7.3, Auto, 3" DP to 4" straight pipe...
TS 6 pos chip....
3 gauge pod with autometer gauges...
9.5" lift ...
80" Ladder bars...
37"s....
2008 Diff cover ( glassbeaded and cleared)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 PM
PSN Local

i usually just leave the key one for about 10 more seconds after the wait to start light goes out to ensure the glow plugs are hot(assuming the relay isn't bad). Always fires right up. good luck!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I'm having better luck now that I'm leaving the key on for more time after the WTS light goes off. May be just masking the problem, we'll see.

97 Cali F-350 4x4 5spd std cab, 6637, 5" exhaust, TW tunes
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 12:37 PM
One Stroke @ a Time

Sounds like you have a few bad glow plugs. Please take into consideration that the WTS light isn't directly connected to the glow plugs. The computer considers air temp and eng temp and gives a "best case" of how long to wait to start and signals the light for that period of time. Even though the light is off the glow plugs can remain on for up to 2 mins after the engine is running to achieve desired results. Good luck!

97 F350 CCLB 4x4
a bunch of costly things and some bloody knuckles, but a lot of fun to drive!
"Loaded like a freight car, driven like a stock car!"

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 11:12 PM
PSN Local

fully charged batteries? good starter? that always helps..my starter is on its way out and doesn't like to start under 25 degrees or so sounds like a similar problem.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:13 PM
One Stroke @ a Time

powerStroker66, I assume you have, but make sure you check all of your battery cables really well! The higher amp draw of the cold weather may be only the symptom, not necessarily the problem. I have seen many of these positive battery cables break down and look exactly like a starter going bad, also check all your grounds and make sure both ends of the cables have a good connection.

Just my $.02 good luck

97 F350 CCLB 4x4
a bunch of costly things and some bloody knuckles, but a lot of fun to drive!
"Loaded like a freight car, driven like a stock car!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode