5lbs of boost n bummin out. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Talking 5lbs of boost n bummin out.

97 f250 7.3 4x4 crew cab , found this truck offered a couple grand n now its home. Trying to figure out why she's only pushing around 5lbs of boost. Maybe 7 max. Seems low on power. I read a bit about ebp tube n sensor. Ordered em both new. Should be here in the next day or so. Replaced the boots n clamps. They were just not quite right. The truck doesn't really smoke except a small puff at start up. It runs pretty solid no misses , but I haven't really driven it hard cause I wanted to check out this boost issue. Engine seems to be stock no chip or major mods thatre noticeable. opened up the intake tube to look at the turbo. Doesn't look bad at all. Soooo, I wanna get her runnin right. Can any people point me in the right direction? Any n all help will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:52 AM
I like turtles

Re: 5lbs of boost n bummin out.

Check for soot around up pipes. If they are leaking by collector that will be a issue.

08 duramax ccsb efi live, air dog 2, isspros, 5 inch exhaust and some other cool things. 2001 duramax 2wd (Project truck)
Once had a signature that had some bad ass stuff on it. Now its back to crap.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:55 AM
PSN Veteran

Build yourself a boost leak detector and fix the leaks...

James
2000 F350 CCLB 4x4 auto, 250/200's from PIS, No Limit tunes, Isspro gauges, 4" exhaust and intake.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

No black soot at the up pipes or around any collectors so I'm thinkin the leak detector is gonna be my project for the day.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 02:03 PM
One Stroke @ a Time

How are you checking boost? If its a gauge in the cab and you didn't install it, make sure that there isn't any kinks in the tube and that its in a good location to read boost. If you're not driving it hard or putting it under a load, you're not going to see a lot of boost. Sitting in park and revin it with a stock computer and a stock truck you won't ever see much more boost than you. It needs to be under a hard pull to get the boost up. Remember that in stock form these trucks are only boosting at 14psi or so. That being said 5-7psi isn't bad if all you're doing is revin it up and watching a gauge.

97 F350 CCLB 4x4
a bunch of costly things and some bloody knuckles, but a lot of fun to drive!
"Loaded like a freight car, driven like a stock car!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 02:05 PM
One Stroke @ a Time

Also remember that you're truck is putting less than 200hp to the ground stock. So if you're comparing the lack of power to a newer PS, Duracrap, or Fummins that you may drive for work, its going to feel under powered. Don't want you to waste a lot of time and money only to figure out the truck doesn't make the power you thought it should.

97 F350 CCLB 4x4
a bunch of costly things and some bloody knuckles, but a lot of fun to drive!
"Loaded like a freight car, driven like a stock car!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 03:44 PM
STILL LEARNING

If you are truly only making 7psi of boost driving it, my vote would be either the EBPV is stuck closed, or you have a Fuel restriction

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 03:58 PM
PSN Veteran

x2 on leaks

Also, There should be a rubber, square profile oring between the intake y and the turbo. It was not there when I got my truck... it was in the valley and its a boost killa

2000 F250 CCSB-- GT4294R, 250/100s, Dahl/Fuelab, PHP, scan gauge, stock 17* pump

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
1997 F250 CCSB 2wd (sold)
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ahhhh, thank you so much folks, I haven't started yet just got through turkey shopping . But while I wad looking around I found a rubber oring just kinda laying next to the pedestal. So I wonder if that's anything.....I'm gonna eat n get on this thing. Oh yeah one more thing , the boost was 5lbs max pullin onto the throughway with my foot touchn the firewall.Grrrr
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I also bought some new gauges just to make sure its not a bum gauge or bad line ill b back later . To fill ya in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode