ebpv closing too much - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Question ebpv closing too much

Hey guys I just recently got a 1997 psd zf5 crew cab with 290,000 on the odometer. The problem is that in the morning the ebpv closes like it should but it almost seems like it closes up too much because it has absolutly no power and stuggles to get up to speed. The valve stays closed until the temp guage needle hits the "N" on normal and the engine is idling. I felt this was odd because on my other obs the temp never goes above 1/4 of the guage face, and the ebpv dosnt effect the engine barely at all if any. Now the truck that has the problem is bone stock except for a k&n intake (soon to be changed) and a new fuel pump, intake pressure sensor. And my other obs i am reffering is straight piped, has 6637 filter, a ts chip, and is an auto. Im not sure what to think at this point, ive heard you can unplug it but i cant find the plug for it, im thinking about gutting to elminating the problem altogether. Thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 PM
PSN Local

Re: ebpv closing too much

sounds like it sticking?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:47 AM
PSN Local

the sensor gets gummed up with exhaust soot. Just unplug it, Take the "7.3 powerstroke cover" off and its right near the glow plug relay plate. It sticks stright up and you see the metal tube coming into it from the exhaust manifold.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:44 AM
PSN Veteran

Remove the tube between the passenger side exhaust manifold and the EBP sensor and clean it out (it removes and snakes out fairly easily from under the alternator). I like to use carb cleaner and some wire rope chucked it a variable speed drill (just like a plumbing snake). Also clean the little bit left at the sensor and the sensor. The plug for the EBPV solenoid is at the base of the turbo on the driver's side (teo-wire weatherpack connector). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I tried all of this and it still does the same thing. Should I just buy a new sensor?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:04 PM
PSN Local

the senosrs are roghly $80 if you buy international, i personally think its not worth it. Have you tried unpluging it to see if that is the problem? You shouldnt need the EBPV if you let your truck warm up i ran mine all last winter with it unplugged i just made sure i eaither plugged it in or gave it a good warm up time.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I unplugged the sensor, the two prong connector, and both at the same time and it still does the same thing. I must not be unplugging the right one, but its the only two prong connection right under the turbo. This thing is starting to drive me crazy!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 06:17 PM
PSN Local

if you unplug the actuator plug then yes it will stay shut because it cant move. If you unplug the pressure sensor near the GP relay it should tell the EBPV actuator to stay open.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I tried unplugging both seperately, and both at the same time, and it still does the same thing.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:45 AM
PSN Veteran

underneath the intake side of the turbo is the plug for the valve itself-- just unplug it and it will stay open all the time.

2000 F250 CCSB-- GT4294R, 250/100s, Dahl/Fuelab, PHP, scan gauge, stock 17* pump

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
1997 F250 CCSB 2wd (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode